Lease Building For First Time For Cake Business

Business By beamom Updated 2 Jul 2009 , 4:22pm by ButtercupMama

beamom Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 12:58pm
post #1 of 2

I am in the process of looking to lease my first place for my cake business. I was wondering if anyone could give me key things to consider in the contract and leasing space. Also what would you consider a good amount of sq ft for my first space.

1 reply
ButtercupMama Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 4:22pm
post #2 of 2

I don't know if anyone has answered yet; I know our board is a little screwed up as of late with the multiple posts!
But I can tell you from my experience, use a business lawyer to look over the contract for your protection.
I have just under 900 sq ft, and we have to make good creative use of the space, but doin just fine.
My plaza is small and very modest. We are hard to see from the road, but our customers find us online, and then make the effort. We don't have many walk-ins. In the future, it would be cool to be in a high traffic area, but just couldn't afford it starting out. Our spot was very affordable, and this was very attractive to me!

Our location is wonderful in the way that it is:
a) only 2 miles from home (I'm constantly running back here)
b) close to the freeways, and great access to most parts of the city.
c) in a good (not scary/not ritzy) part of town; middle class

If I had it to do over again, I would wait until something came up that had most of the build-out done and some major equipment inside already. I spent way more than I should have to renovate a dumpy spot, and put out major bucks for equipment. Since then, I have had a couple of offers to move to spaces with kitchens that were already complete. I would not be in the debt I'm in, if I had known that these little gems pop up once in a while.
I hope this helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%