Lease Building For First Time For Cake Business

Business By beamom Updated 21 Jul 2009 , 8:23pm by indydebi

beamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beamom Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 12:46pm
post #1 of 30

I'm in the process of leasing my first building for my cake business. I was wondering if you all could give me somethings to consider in the contract. also does anyone have an idea what is a good amount of sq ft space for my first building. Right now I am looking at 2,400-2600 sq ft. which is a total of two -three floors.

29 replies
sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 9:41pm
post #2 of 30

Not sure about the first part but your square footage is gonna be huge!! I believe indydebi has 1600 sf and she does catering as well as cakes. What are you going to do with all that space?

sari66 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 9:42pm
post #3 of 30

Not sure about the first part but your square footage is gonna be huge!! I believe indydebi has 1600 sf and she does catering as well as cakes. What are you going to do with all that space?

sari66 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 9:43pm
post #4 of 30

sari66 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 9:44pm
post #5 of 30

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 10:08pm
post #6 of 30

I have 1150 sq ft and 51 ft of that is restroom space.

my advice is to have an attorney look over the lease. Mine found a number of things that caused him concern that we went back and talked about.

Ask for the moon. I know a guy who just leased a commercial space and he negotiated 6 months free rent while he did the construction. (and it won't take him 6 months to get that done.)

indydebi Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 10:09pm
post #7 of 30

dupl

indydebi Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 10:10pm
post #8 of 30

dupl

indydebi Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 10:11pm
post #9 of 30

dupl

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 11:04pm
post #10 of 30

My ideal space would be about 900 square feet.

leah_s Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 11:05pm
post #11 of 30

leah_s Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 11:06pm
post #12 of 30

Cake_Mooma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Mooma Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 11:14pm
post #13 of 30

pick up my keys in the morning to my 1500 sq ft. space and that seems like sooo much space. I am sure that I will use every inch of it and wish for more. lol.....

Vic

Cake_Mooma Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 11:15pm
post #14 of 30

pick up my keys in the morning to my 1500 sq ft. space and that seems like sooo much space. I am sure that I will use every inch of it and wish for more. lol.....

Vic

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 11:34pm
post #15 of 30

Honestly, you might want to try to find something smaller. That way your rent will be less, since they typically charge by the square foot.

cylstrial Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 11:35pm
post #16 of 30

Honestly, you might want to try to find something smaller. That way your rent will be less, since they typically charge by the square foot.

cylstrial Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 11:36pm
post #17 of 30

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 12:12am
post #18 of 30

That is a ton of space... and the rent that will go along with that will be more than you want (especially when you are just starting out). If I was out looking I'd be looking in the 1000-1500 sqft range.

My advice would be to re-evaluate your thought on how much space you think you need.

beamom Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 12:57pm
post #19 of 30

Thanks everyone. I thought I needed more space because of a cater wanted to rent the space with me, but I'm not sure of her plans just yet. Maybe I should look for something small. The cost for rent was $1500 a month, which doesn't inclue taxes and util

beamom Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 12:58pm
post #20 of 30

Thanks everyone. I thought I needed more space because of a cater wanted to rent the space with me, but I'm not sure of her plans just yet. Maybe I should look for something small. The cost for rent was $1500 a month, which doesn't inclue taxes and util

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 3:45pm
post #21 of 30

Never hook up in business with someone who you don't know EXTREMELY well. If you don't know their work ethic will be up to par with yours. At the very least, you need to be sure to havean lawyer draw up your rental agreement. What happens if she decides to stop and you are faced with the entire bill? Will you be able to handle it all? Who gets the have to trek all of their supplies and product up and down the stairs? I would look to go forth on your own in a smaller space. I know it sounds cynical, but you have to be in business.

indydebi Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 4:03pm
post #22 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamom

I have, in round numbers, 1100 square feet. It's divided up between kitchen and office about 60/40, which computes to about 650 square feet in the kitchen and 450 square feet in the front retail/office space. As a caterer AND a cake maker, I can tell you this is still a lot of space. It depends, of course, on the caterer's volume and type of foods he/she offers, but 2000+ square feet is STILL a lot of space.

beamom Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 7:29pm
post #23 of 30

You are right. Maybe I should look for a place smaller and do everything on my own. Although i can afford the rent and util on my own. I would be pushing things a bit. Maybe I will save my money and rent a kitchen and market my business more.

beamom Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 7:30pm
post #24 of 30

You are right. Maybe I should look for a place smaller and do everything on my own. Although i can afford the rent and util on my own. I would be pushing things a bit. Maybe I will save my money and rent a kitchen and market my business more.

beamom Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 7:31pm
post #25 of 30

CindiM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindiM Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 12:40am
post #26 of 30

Congrats Cakemooma on your new space!
I have 950 and that seems about right for my cake business.

CindiM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindiM Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 12:41am
post #27 of 30

Cake_Mooma Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 11:40am
post #28 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindiM

Thank you CindiM....

I didn't mean to trump anyone by posting that. icon_redface.gif

THe amount of space that I need was something that I had to go out and actually ask many about. Beamom, don't be afraid to ask other shops. Believe it or not they are more than willing to give you advise and just chat. I meet some of the best people around. I went to a bakery that is owned by 8 sisters and oh boy did they guide me in so many ways...I am very happy to have met them. And I met another man that was also willing to help me even with the type of equipment that I was going to need. So ask around. I visited a few bakeries around town and got ideas from all of them. Remember they have been around for x amount of years and they already know what the community likes and wants. So ask...they can become good friends.

I am very happy with my 1500 sq ft and I can't see anything bigger then that for me that is. It all depends on what volume of work you will be producing.

Good luck to you. It is fun, a good nervious and exciting. Now begings the real work. LOL. icon_biggrin.gificon_eek.gifthumbs_up.gif

Vic

beamom Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 7:49pm
post #29 of 30

Thanks so much. I do have all fo the feeling you listed below. I have so many orders coming in now and my house is closing in on me and my two interns. I have another intresting question. How much do you pay your staff memebers? Do you pay anything to your interns at all?

indydebi Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 8:23pm
post #30 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamom

Thanks so much. I do have all fo the feeling you listed below. I have so many orders coming in now and my house is closing in on me and my two interns. I have another intresting question. How much do you pay your staff memebers? Do you pay anything to your interns at all?

I don't have interns, but as far as paying employees, please remember that you get what you pay for. If you only pay minimum wage, you will get minimum skill. I've practiced this philsophy for years .... when we were opening a new warehouse and I had to hire warehouse staff, my boss tried to tell me that the going rate was blah-blah dollars. He knew that because all the help wanted ads for warehouse staff were offering that amount.

And I said, "Yeah .... and they're all looking for help because they can't keep anyone because they pay so low. Do you really want me to spend my all of my time training and retraining warehouse guys, or do you want me to hire the right ones from the git-go, who can do the job in the warehouse while I handle your sales?"

You get what you pay for ... really.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%