Wedding Cake Set Up

Decorating By Chefperl Updated 30 Jun 2009 , 2:25pm by aligotmatt

Chefperl Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 11:18am
post #1 of 9

So I am making the biggest cake i have ever made this sunday. Its a 16-13-9-6 covered in fondant with royal icing flowers down the sides.
Should i assemble it before delivery or at the wedding site? I feel like its going to be a heavy cake. whats the best way to do it. and a cake that big/heavy are plastic dowels going to be enough to hold it?

8 replies
rockytop Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 12:02pm
post #2 of 9

Chefperl,
I would assemble the 16,13 together and the 9,6 ,and I would assemble 16,13,9,6 at the site. How big are the plastic dowels that you are using? Have you thought about using bubble tea straws?

HTH
Roger

Chefperl Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 2:09pm
post #3 of 9

i have never used the bubble tea straws. i am nervous using something new on this cake. Do you think i should use them instead?
i am a nervous wreck about this cake!!!!

Chefperl Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 2:10pm
post #4 of 9

i have never used the bubble tea straws. i am nervous using something new on this cake. Do you think i should use them instead?

Chefperl Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 2:11pm
post #5 of 9

rockytop Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 2:18pm
post #6 of 9

If it was me I would use the straws , they are much wider and stroger than regular straws. You can find them at oriental stores.

HTH
Roger

rockytop Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 2:19pm
post #7 of 9

If it was me I would use the straws , they are much wider and stroger than regular straws. You can find them at oriental stores.

HTH
Roger

aligotmatt Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 2:24pm
post #8 of 9

What kind of plastic dowels were you going to use? Wilton hidden pillars or sps? I would go with either of those over bubble tea straws because they lock into place.

As for assembly, you have to do what you're comfortable with and the set up time allotted to you. If you physically cannot carry the assembled cake, then you cannot bring it assembled.

You have to see what the deal is at the venue, assembling a lot of decorations may not be possible.

aligotmatt Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 2:25pm
post #9 of 9

What kind of plastic dowels were you going to use? Wilton hidden pillars or sps? I would go with either of those over bubble tea straws because they lock into place.

As for assembly, you have to do what you're comfortable with and the set up time allotted to you. If you physically cannot carry the assembled cake, then you cannot bring it assembled.

You have to see what the deal is at the venue, assembling a lot of decorations may not be possible.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%