My First Wedding Cake

Decorating By SeptBabyMom Updated 30 Jun 2009 , 12:50pm by hilly

SeptBabyMom Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 10:50am
post #1 of 7

I've done a few cakes before, but this is my very first wedding cake and I'm excited. It was stressful and nerve-wrecking, but OMG what a high once it's all set up at the reception venue... that has to be the best part. icon_smile.gif

The cake I made was a no-brainer for me as the bride requested one very similar to a previous cake I had made. She also wasn't overly adventurous with flavor, just wanted your standard vanilla cake with buttercream icing and filling. So that was easy breezy.

However we had tons of humidity last week that I was terrified would keep the bow loops from drying and would make the fondant sticky. I had the dehumidifier and fans going like crazy, and luckily this wasn't an issue.

It was also much bigger than I'm used to. No big deal but wasn't sure if I'd have problems baking a cake in a 14 inch pan or not... no big deal at all. For which size cake pan is it recommended that you use a heating core when baking?

Driving to the reception venue with the cake also had me nervous. icon_smile.gif The street this particular venue was on is probably one of the worse in that city due to major road construction/repair.

But everything went off without a hitch. I haven't heard from the bride yet, and not sure if I will? Do most of you hear back from the bride and receive feedback? I'd love to know if she liked it or not.

I was also wondering what you guys would charge for this cake. My first one and it's fairly basic, 14-10-6 inch layers, and I charged $270.

Here it is:

I would certainly appreciate any feedback you can offer. I have another wedding cake in September, but for a super small wedding.

6 replies
djs328 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 11:08am
post #2 of 7

Beautiful cake!! I, too, did my first wedding cake this past weekend - you are so right: stressful, right up until it's set up at the reception...then - just pride! icon_smile.gif And I just laughed at the flavor bride, too, picked vanilla/vanilla...not what I would have picked, but suited her taste, I guess!
I don't know about charging - I gifted the majority of mine (minus costs)...but I think that your price makes it less than $3/serving (roughly 100+ servings?) which sounds a little low, to me, anyhow...I think you probably could have charged her closer to $4, with all that fondant...your work is beautiful! Don't shortsell yourself because you think "Oh, it's my first wedding cake..."
Weddings are stressful (as we both experienced this weekend!) and you should charge accordingly.
Good luck with the next one! icon_smile.gif Again - fantastic job!!!

Texas_Rose Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 11:17am
post #3 of 7

Your cake is lovely! That was an interesting color scheme to work with...but you made it look fabulous icon_biggrin.gif

I'm doing my first wedding cake this's a 14-10-7, all vanilla, with gumpaste flowers...everything white, with some little pearly flowers and pearly white grass on the sides. It has to travel about 50 miles out in the country, including some very steep hills and sharp turns, so I'll be assembling it there...sort of, because they're putting it on a counter that's about shoulder height for me, and I broke my leg a few months back, so I can't climb up on a ladder. So my husband will have to put it together, but he's almost as into the whole cake thing as me, so I think he'll manage.

I can't help with the pricing question...the cake I'm making is a gift for the bride...she did give me $100 for the supplies...which just about covered everything. She's the manager of the apartment complex that I live in, which adds another level of stress to the whole thing.

jaybug Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 11:31am
post #4 of 7

You did a great job on the cake. You can be very proud because it is gorgeous! icon_biggrin.gif

sweetjan Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 11:37am
post #5 of 7

There's nothing from me but positive. It's really perfect. Great colors, very, very smooth and 'clean' lines. I think it's excellent.

hilly Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 12:49pm
post #6 of 7

It's so pretty! I bet the bride was thrilled!

hilly Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 12:50pm
post #7 of 7

It's so pretty! I bet the bride was thrilled!

Quote by @%username% on %date%