So Sad.

Business By fsinger84 Updated 30 Jun 2009 , 3:55am by RachieRach

fsinger84 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 3:29am
post #1 of 10

I could sure use some support right now. I have been wanting to operate my own cupcake based bakery for the past year so I moved back home after graduate school in May. I have been practicing and trying to find a rental kitchen so I can legally start my business. I can't find a job and I have just learned in the last 24 hours that one bakery in town is getting major press for their cupcakes and that another bakery will be opening in August (I burst into tears when I heard this) which has a cupcake focus and they are going to sell cupcakes for only $16 per dozen iced and $24 per dozen iced and decorated. This new bakery is also downtown which is where I wanted to be located and the owner has many downtown connections which lead her to the opportunity. It makes this even harder for me because these are two people I did my undergraduate degree with and they are both younger than me. I am just so frustrated. I wanted to be the first cupcake shop in town but now there will be two predominately cupcake bakery's with a following established already if I ever even get to open up my own place. Does anyone have any success stories to tell? I could really use the encouragement.

9 replies
LindseyLoocy Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 3:38am
post #2 of 10

Helloicon_smile.gif I don't have a success story to give, but I feel your frustration. Just hang in there and don't give up. Look into your surrounding areas for opportunities. icon_biggrin.gif

honeyscakes Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 3:40am
post #3 of 10

awww, I'm sorry that happened.But them opening their bakery first doesn't guarantee their success or doesnt guarantee that no one else can out do them.You dont have to be discouraged.You never know, you might be their toughest competitor in the future icon_biggrin.gif
cheer up! thumbs_up.gif
HUGS

honeyscakes Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 3:41am
post #4 of 10

awww, I'm sorry that happened.But them opening their bakery first doesn't guarantee their success or doesnt guarantee that no one else can out do them.You dont have to be discouraged.You never know, you might be their toughest competitor in the future icon_biggrin.gif
cheer up! thumbs_up.gif
HUGS

honeyscakes Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 3:42am
post #5 of 10

cheer up! thumbs_up.gif
HUGS

honeyscakes Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 3:42am
post #6 of 10

cheer up! thumbs_up.gif
HUGS

bakermommy4 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 3:45am
post #7 of 10

I don't have an actual "success" story for you fsinger...but I just want to tell you to keep your head up...where there's a will there's a way. I know that's not what you were looking for.

The fact that there are now two cupcake based businesses open now can be a deterrence but that's the point of competition. I don't know what your circumstances are but have you checked with your local business dept. to see if you can operate from home. If not, do you have any people that are looking to do something food based also in which you can team up with and split the cost of the rental kitchen...and lastly and I mean a very last option is maybe applying for a loan for leasing space commercially.

You can always find some area in which you can compete...whether it be prices...superior taste...customization....there's always an edge.

Just keep at it hun.

RachieRach Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 3:53am
post #8 of 10

I agree that maybe you can have your business in a surrounding area. Don't be discouraged. Study these businesses and think of ways to improve operations. With brick and mortar locations it is not just the product, but the experience. Perhaps your bakery will attract people who want to sit in (could you offer coffee and/ or other baked goods?) or you cupcakes will be so much better tasting. (I am amazed how many cupcake shops where I live serve the dryest cupcakes.)

Timing is key. Perhaps you are meant to alter what your bakery will be. Don't give up!

RachieRach Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 3:54am
post #9 of 10

I agree that maybe you can have your business in a surrounding area. Don't be discouraged. Study these businesses and think of ways to improve operations. With brick and mortar locations it is not just the product, but the experience. Perhaps your bakery will attract people who want to sit in (could you offer coffee and/ or other baked goods?) or you cupcakes will be so much better tasting. (I am amazed how many cupcake shops where I live serve the dryest cupcakes.)

Timing is key. Perhaps you are meant to alter what your bakery will be. Don't give up!

RachieRach Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 3:55am
post #10 of 10

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%