So Sad.

Business By fsinger84 Updated 30 Jun 2009 , 12:09pm by Swede-cakes

fsinger84 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 3:28am
post #1 of 15

I could sure use some support right now. I have been wanting to operate my own cupcake based bakery for the past year so I moved back home after graduate school in May. I have been practicing and trying to find a rental kitchen so I can legally start my business. I can't find a job and I have just learned in the last 24 hours that one bakery in town is getting major press for their cupcakes and that another bakery will be opening in August (I burst into tears when I heard this) which has a cupcake focus and they are going to sell cupcakes for only $16 per dozen iced and $24 per dozen iced and decorated. This new bakery is also downtown which is where I wanted to be located and the owner has many downtown connections which lead her to the opportunity. It makes this even harder for me because these are two people I did my undergraduate degree with and they are both younger than me. I am just so frustrated. I wanted to be the first cupcake shop in town but now there will be two predominately cupcake bakery's with a following established already if I ever even get to open up my own place. Does anyone have any success stories to tell? I could really use the encouragement.

14 replies
__Jamie__ Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 3:34am
post #2 of 15

Go for it. Probably not room for more than one major cupcake place. It's probably going to be a race to see who is best.

__Jamie__ Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 3:35am
post #3 of 15

Go for it. Probably not room for more than one major cupcake place. It's probably going to be a race to see who is best.

__Jamie__ Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 3:36am
post #4 of 15

__Jamie__ Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 3:38am
post #5 of 15

I can't think of any stores in my downtown area that directly compete with each other with a market that limited. Good luck! Beat them all to it and get established!

Let's see how many times this response gets duplicated. icon_biggrin.gif

bakermommy4 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 3:49am
post #6 of 15

I don't have an actual "success" story for you fsinger...but I just want to tell you to keep your head up...where there's a will there's a way. I know that's not what you were looking for.

The fact that there are now two cupcake based businesses open now can be a deterrence but that's the point of competition. I don't know what your circumstances are but have you checked with your local business dept. to see if you can operate from home. If not, do you have any people that are looking to do something food based also in which you can team up with and split the cost of the rental kitchen...and lastly and I mean a very last option is maybe applying for a loan for leasing space commercially.

You can always find some area in which you can compete...whether it be prices...superior taste...customization....there's always an edge.

Just keep at it hun.

Ladiesofthehouse Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 4:01am
post #7 of 15

Just sit tight for a little bit and practice some more. I say this because I am opening my bakery in July and when we in the planning stages last year someone came along and opened exactly what I was going to do. I was devastated! Well, guess what...she went under in less than 6 months. Her prices were too low and the rent downtown in our touristy town killed her.

3 months later a young lady in town that has a father with big $$ opened a brand new, state of the art cafe with home baked goods. I was like--what the heck! 8 months later and she went under because she couldn't stay away from her drug addiction.

So here I am close to my bakery opening with yet another cafe with baked goods having just opened about a month ago. We'll see what happens with them. They don't look like anything out of the ordinary, so I think they need luck and lots of it.

Don't let what everybody else is doing stop you from doing what you want to. Maybe take this time and learn to decorate cookies too! Add some new skills, hook up with someone that can add to what you are doing. Whatever it takes to forge ahead--just do it thumbs_up.gif

Ladiesofthehouse Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 4:02am
post #8 of 15

Just sit tight for a little bit and practice some more. I say this because I am opening my bakery in July and when we in the planning stages last year someone came along and opened exactly what I was going to do. I was devastated! Well, guess what...she went under in less than 6 months. Her prices were too low and the rent downtown in our touristy town killed her.

3 months later a young lady in town that has a father with big $$ opened a brand new, state of the art cafe with home baked goods. I was like--what the heck! 8 months later and she went under because she couldn't stay away from her drug addiction.

So here I am close to my bakery opening with yet another cafe with baked goods having just opened about a month ago. We'll see what happens with them. They don't look like anything out of the ordinary, so I think they need luck and lots of it.

Don't let what everybody else is doing stop you from doing what you want to. Maybe take this time and learn to decorate cookies too! Add some new skills, hook up with someone that can add to what you are doing. Whatever it takes to forge ahead--just do it thumbs_up.gif

Ladiesofthehouse Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 4:03am
post #9 of 15

Ladiesofthehouse Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 4:04am
post #10 of 15

Ladiesofthehouse Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 4:05am
post #11 of 15

Ladiesofthehouse Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 4:06am
post #12 of 15

sara91 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 10:15am
post #13 of 15

Don't be put off your business idea by competition. What did you expect to be the only cupcake bakery in town so customers would have no choice to come to you?

You should go and suss out the competition, and then be better in every way you can. Better tasting, better customer service, etc. You do not have to put your prices to beat these bakeries. You can market your cakes as premium not cheap.

I suggest you go to your local library and get out some books on starting a business or talk to your local government business help centre. They love to help people get set up in business.

Don't give up before you start. I wouldn't worry about those two people being younger. You are older, meaning you have more life experience. Look at the glass half full.

Nothing like a bit of healthy competition to try and improve all areas of your business. That can also be said for those complaining pain in the a$$ customers.
You can always learn from these customers how to make your service better and avoid problems next time.

You can also go and buy from your competitors( or get a friend) and then complain and see how they handle customer complaints.

Bottom line, don't be put off, just do it better. Good luck.

sara91 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 10:17am
post #14 of 15

Don't be put off your business idea by competition. What did you expect to be the only cupcake bakery in town so customers would have no choice to come to you?

You should go and suss out the competition, and then be better in every way you can. Better tasting, better customer service, etc. You do not have to put your prices to beat these bakeries. You can market your cakes as premium not cheap.

I suggest you go to your local library and get out some books on starting a business or talk to your local government business help centre. They love to help people get set up in business.

Don't give up before you start. I wouldn't worry about those two people being younger. You are older, meaning you have more life experience. Look at the glass half full.

Nothing like a bit of healthy competition to try and improve all areas of your business. That can also be said for those complaining pain in the a$$ customers.
You can always learn from these customers how to make your service better and avoid problems next time.

You can also go and buy from your competitors( or get a friend) and then complain and see how they handle customer complaints.

Bottom line, don't be put off, just do it better. Good luck.

Swede-cakes Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 12:09pm
post #15 of 15

Chin up, fsinger84! I second what's already been said to encourage you. I know how it feels to have someone else reach their dream before your own. BUT that doesn't diminish yours in any way! The world hasn't seen what you can do yet!

So, there are two cuppie shops now. If it were me, I'd be visiting them as a customer. I'd check out their decor, their style. Then I'd assess what makes them similar to each other, as I bet there are more similarities than differences. And at that point, I'd go the complete opposite direction. Assess their products and flavors, then find a way to make yours known for something special. for example, if neither have Pink Champagne flavor, add it to your menu. Or create a "signature" flavor combo. Or add a secondary product, like artisan chocolates.

I wish you the very best as you strive to reach your dream!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%