First Fondant Wedding Cake

Decorating By chanda Updated 30 Jun 2009 , 1:04pm by Bluehue

chanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chanda Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 1:46am
post #1 of 5

HI, I am making my first four tiered fondant wedding cake for July 17th. It will have calla lilies. I am making them attached to wires. Should I just stick them into the cake? Or should I also use ri to attach? I am also worried about covering such a large tier (15 in) with fondant. Any tips? Oh, and can I put fondant on top of Italian merengue buttercream? Thanks, Chanda

4 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 9:14am
post #2 of 5

Hi there, don't insert the flowers into the cake because its not food safe. You can make a bunch of lillies and keep it on the cake.

The biggest cake I ever covered it a 12". Make sure you have right amount of fondant and don't roll it two thin. A 1/4 thickness should be fine.

Yes, you can put on top of IMBC.

Good Luck!

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 9:19am
post #3 of 5

I agree with bashini about the wires, if you do want to stick them in the cake insert a straw 1st and then stick the wire into that.

the biggest I have covered is a 14" I roll my fondant on a vinyl mat and then flip it onto the cake, but covering a big cake is not easy, any chance that you can practise beforehand?

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 1:03pm
post #4 of 5

If you can purchase a *flower pick* from a nearby florist - wonderful.
That is what i use when needing to insert wires into a cake.

Very sturdy plastic - and can hold quite a few wires.
Usually about 2 inches in length but can be cut smaller if needed.

Just gently push down into the center of the cake maing sure it is level with top of cake.....before placing your fondant on top.

You will be able to feel exactely where it is under your fondant for when you are ready to poke your wires into it.

Depending how many wires you will be using - you can fill the*flower pick* with some fondant - that helps them stay exactely where you want them to.

Look forward to seeing photos of your finished creation...

Bluehue. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 1:04pm
post #5 of 5

If you can purchase a *flower pick* from a nearby florist - wonderful.
That is what i use when needing to insert wires into a cake.

Very sturdy plastic - and can hold quite a few wires.
Usually about 2 inches in length but can be cut smaller if needed.

Just gently push down into the center of the cake maing sure it is level with top of cake.....before placing your fondant on top.

You will be able to feel exactely where it is under your fondant for when you are ready to poke your wires into it.

Depending how many wires you will be using - you can fill the*flower pick* with some fondant - that helps them stay exactely where you want them to.

Look forward to seeing photos of your finished creation...

Bluehue. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%