How Early Can I Ice A Cake Before The Cake Is Required????

Decorating By halleyec Updated 30 Jun 2009 , 2:35am by sweet_teeth

halleyec Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 1:16am
post #1 of 17

how early can i ice a cake with buttercream icing before the cake is required?? I usually ice the cake the night before pickup but i have quite a bit on and wondering if i could ice it thursday night for saturday morning pickup???? do i have to store it in the fridge, it is very cold winter here at the moment....

16 replies
Renaejrk Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 1:29am
post #2 of 17

I do it that early all the time!

Renaejrk Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 1:30am
post #3 of 17

Renaejrk Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 1:30am
post #4 of 17

msulli10 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 1:45am
post #5 of 17

You can definitely ice it a few days earlier. It depends on what your filling is as to whether or not you need to keep it in the fridge.

msulli10 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 1:46am
post #6 of 17

You can definitely ice it a few days earlier. It depends on what your filling is as to whether or not you need to keep it in the fridge.

cheesecakes-galore Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 1:53am
post #7 of 17

I have started cakes that early myself. But I keep everything in the fridge, not only does it keep longer, but there is no way it will accidentally get bumped just passing by the counter somehow.

cheesecakes-galore Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 1:54am
post #8 of 17

I have started cakes that early myself. But I keep everything in the fridge, not only does it keep longer, but there is no way it will accidentally get bumped just passing by the counter somehow.

halleyec Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 2:14am
post #9 of 17

Thanks so much for your help

halleyec Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 2:15am
post #10 of 17

halleyec Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 2:16am
post #11 of 17

halleyec Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 2:17am
post #12 of 17

sweet_teeth Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 2:31am
post #13 of 17

I would say that icing on a Thursday for Saturday pickup is a normal practice. Frosting the cake keeps it fresh.

Regarding refrigeration.. unless the filling is perishable, it is not necessary. The fridge actually dries out and zaps moister out of cakes.. so it would be better to leave it out on the counter assuming you have a clean and safe space for it to hang out until you're ready to deliver it.

sweet_teeth Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 2:32am
post #14 of 17

I would say that icing on a Thursday for Saturday pickup is a normal practice. Frosting the cake keeps it fresh.

Regarding refrigeration.. unless the filling is perishable, it is not necessary. The fridge actually dries out and zaps moister out of cakes.. so it would be better to leave it out on the counter assuming you have a clean and safe space for it to hang out until you're ready to deliver it.

sweet_teeth Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 2:33am
post #15 of 17

sweet_teeth Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 2:34am
post #16 of 17

sweet_teeth Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 2:35am
post #17 of 17

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%