Why Does Fondant Crack?

Decorating By DoubleTroubleCreations Updated 30 Jun 2009 , 1:23am by anesha

DoubleTroubleCreations Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 1:11am
post #1 of 5

The last time I used fondant on a cake, I noticed later on in the afternoon, there was a hairline crack in the fondant (luckily at the back of the cake). Why would it crack and is there any "fix" for it while it is on the cake?

4 replies
anesha Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 1:20am
post #2 of 5

Fondant tends to crack when it does not moisture, you can use glucose to restore the moisture. Easily enough, to fix a crack you can either paint it with royal icing in the color of the fondant, or I have found that if it isn't a huge crack you can take warm water on the tip of your finger and rub the length of the crack in a circular motion. Let it absorb the water and repeat after a few seconds. After a couple rubs, wait a second and rub again without the additional water and you should see the crack start to disappear. Again this only works on small cracks and is not suggested if there are more than one or two.

anesha Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 1:21am
post #3 of 5

IDK whats with the multiple posts but its getting annoying!!! icon_mad.gif

anesha Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 1:22am
post #4 of 5

Fondant tends to crack when it does not moisture, you can use glucose to restore the moisture. Easily enough, to fix a crack you can either paint it with royal icing in the color of the fondant, or I have found that if it isn't a huge crack you can take warm water on the tip of your finger and rub the length of the crack in a circular motion. Let it absorb the water and repeat after a few seconds. After a couple rubs, wait a second and rub again without the additional water and you should see the crack start to disappear. Again this only works on small cracks and is not suggested if there are more than one or two.

anesha Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 1:23am
post #5 of 5

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%