Need Help Pricing Choc. Covered Strawberries

Decorating By Heavenlydelights107 Updated 30 Jun 2009 , 8:12pm by indydebi

Heavenlydelights107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heavenlydelights107 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 1:11am
post #1 of 19

Hi Ladies,
I have been doing choc. covered strawberries for quite some time for family and friends, but am new to selling them.

What do you usually charge for these? Per each or per dozen?

Thanks!

18 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 2:32am
post #2 of 19

My price is $2.50 each.

I price them each because I usually sell them for weddings, where they order 100+. As you begin to price them, you need to account for the ones you don't use. As you're probably aware, since you've done these, you have to buy 30-36 to get 12 good ones.

I also price mine based on worst price (like January or February pricing). That way I can keep one listed price (don't have to keep changing a printed price list), and for my summer brides, I can afford to give them a discount without losing any money, since my selling price is based on winter pricing.

Even tho' I price them "per each", I do have a 1 dozen minimum.

Hope this helps!

indydebi Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 2:33am
post #3 of 19

dupl post

indydebi Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 2:34am
post #4 of 19

dupl post

indydebi Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 2:35am
post #5 of 19

dupl post

indydebi Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 2:36am
post #6 of 19

dupl post

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 2:43am
post #7 of 19

Does anyone charge by the pound? I feel like when I am looking for GOOD strawberries to dip, sometimes they are bigger than others...like DRAMATICALLY different sizes...any thoughts on this?

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 2:46am
post #8 of 19

In upstate NY they run $27 a dozen. You could give a discount for it being strawberry season, but that's the price.

matthewkyrankelly Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 2:47am
post #9 of 19

In upstate NY they run $27 a dozen. You could give a discount for it being strawberry season, but that's the price.

matthewkyrankelly Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 2:48am
post #10 of 19

indydebi Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 4:00am
post #11 of 19

No, I don't sell by the pound and the reason is that if I tell someone "berries are $xx per pound", the first thing they're going to ask is "How many in a pound?" I'm just not going to go thru that.

Berries will be different sizes, depending on the growing season and where they come from. I can always tell when the crop rotates from California/Mexico berries to Florida berries. Calif berries are always bigger. So my price lists always says "Best Available for Season", which means I make NO implied promise about the size. What *I* get is what *YOU* get. thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 4:01am
post #12 of 19

dupl

indydebi Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 4:02am
post #13 of 19

No, I don't sell by the pound and the reason is that if I tell someone "berries are $xx per pound", the first thing they're going to ask is "How many in a pound?" I'm just not going to go thru that.

Berries will be different sizes, depending on the growing season and where they come from. I can always tell when the crop rotates from California/Mexico berries to Florida berries. Calif berries are always bigger. So my price lists always says "Best Available for Season", which means I make NO implied promise about the size. What *I* get is what *YOU* get. thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 4:03am
post #14 of 19

dupl

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 10:56am
post #15 of 19

Thanks for the insight, Indy...good point about 'what I get is what you get'....can't make magical BIG strawberries appear, now can we!? icon_wink.gif lol! Oh, if we could only....

indydebi Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 8:09pm
post #16 of 19

djs, LUV your signature line!

indydebi Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 8:10pm
post #17 of 19

dupl

indydebi Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 8:11pm
post #18 of 19

dupl