Royal Icing As Sugarpaste?

Decorating By Liz-81 Updated 30 Jun 2009 , 7:05am by Cakechick123

Liz-81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liz-81 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 10:30pm
post #1 of 11

I just found a sugarpaste recipe in a book, that was identical to the royal icing recipe i normally use (just eggwhite, lemonjuice and powdered sugar)... is it really possible to work with royal icing as a paste? I really haven't used either too much so i'm not sure but it sounds odd...

10 replies
noyhoward Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noyhoward Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 10:37pm
post #2 of 11

I don't know but I'll give you a bump.

anamado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anamado Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 10:40pm
post #3 of 11

There is a recipe that uses royal icing to do that.
I haven't tried but I wrote the author, and she said she always uses it. I mean to try ir one day.
Check it here
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7438-Modelling-Past.html

Liz-81 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 10:45pm
post #4 of 11

yeah, I've seen that recipe, but the one i found had no gelatine and no grease. Just powdered sugar, eggwhite and lemon, nothing else... Really easy if it works icon_biggrin.gif but i kind of don't want to try it without kind of knowing it will work...was planning to use an idea from the book i found the recipe for my son's christening - cake...

Liz-81 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 11:23pm
post #5 of 11

bump...

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 3:18am
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz-81

yeah, I've seen that recipe, but the one i found had no gelatine and no grease. Just powdered sugar, eggwhite and lemon, nothing else... Really easy if it works icon_biggrin.gif but i kind of don't want to try it without kind of knowing it will work...was planning to use an idea from the book i found the recipe for my son's christening - cake...

I honestly can't see this working as "sugarpaste" (rolled fondant). It has no ingredients that would give it any stretch (gelatin, glycerine, gums, grease, etc.). I see no way that this could be rolled out into sheets or shapes.

I've heard that adding an acid (lemon juice) to royal icing, merely makes it stronger and sets harder/faster. It's recommended as an addition when making royal icing for stringwork.

As for the recipe linked above, that one makes sense. It has ingredients that contribute to stretch.

Rae

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 3:19am
post #7 of 11
Quote:

I honestly can't see this working as "sugarpaste" (rolled fondant). It has no ingredients that would give it any stretch (gelatin, glycerine, gums, grease, etc.). I see no way that this could be rolled out into sheets or shapes.

I've heard that adding an acid (lemon juice) to royal icing, merely makes it stronger and sets harder/faster. It's recommended as an addition when making royal icing for stringwork.

As for the recipe linked above, that one makes sense. It has ingredients that contribute to stretch.

Rae

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 6:39am
post #8 of 11
Quote:

I just found a sugarpaste recipe in a book, that was identical to the royal icing recipe i normally use (just eggwhite, lemonjuice and powdered sugar)... is it really possible to work with royal icing as a paste? I really haven't used either too much so i'm not sure but it sounds odd...

adding tylose to RI does give you flower paste, I would not say its sugarpaste(fondant) as it dries very fast and you wont be able to cover a cake with it. The Nicolas Lodge gumpaste recipe is basically RI with tylose added. The lemon juice makes RI stronger and whiter.

Liz-81 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 6:57am
post #9 of 11

ok, thanks. Than I'll dismiss that book as pure crap (according to the recipe, the author both rolled it out and covered the cake with this, and made cut-out flowers with it..)...i'm kind of thinking I'll try using mmf instead.

Cakechick123 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 7:04am
post #10 of 11
Quote:

ok, thanks. Than I'll dismiss that book as pure crap (according to the recipe, the author both rolled it out and covered the cake with this, and made cut-out flowers with it..)...i'm kind of thinking I'll try using mmf instead.

if you want a proper sugarpaste recipe pm me and I will send it to you. I've never tried it myself as I prefer to buy pre-made (in SA ours is very tasty) but a friend has made it before and said it work great.

Cakechick123 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 7:05am
post #11 of 11
Quote:

if you want a proper sugarpaste recipe pm me and I will send it to you. I've never tried it myself as I prefer to buy pre-made (in SA ours is very tasty) but a friend has made it before and said it work great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%