Decorating Supplies - Where To Go?

Decorating By gatorcakes Updated 30 Jun 2009 , 2:04am by ninatat

gatorcakes Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 7:56pm
post #1 of 9

Newbie here and have purchased all my supplies from local craft stores thus far. I'm building supplies slowly, but since I'm looking at the same store all the time, I see the same things. Where do you all get your supplies from? I'm interested in BC and fondant. I want basic supplies, I don't have enough talent/experience for the fancy stuff.

8 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 8:17pm
post #2 of 9

See if there are any cake decorating shops in your area...the people who own them are usually pretty knowledgeable about their products and can help you figure out what you need.

For fondant, sometimes things that aren't specifically for cake decorating will work...I have a pastry wheel and herb mincer that I got at Target that are very useful. I also have a pattern tracing wheel, a tiny rotary cutter and a big sheet of vinyl from the fabric store. Target also has nice spatulas.

gatorcakes Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 10:11pm
post #3 of 9

I just noticed the big Global Sugar Art forum. Duh. Thanks for your help Texas_Rose. I'll look up stores here and check out the GSA website.

noyhoward Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 10:35pm
post #4 of 9

My husband work for his uncle @ a paint store & I get alot of my stuff there.I got rollers,different sizes of scraper to smooth my BC,Stencel (Demask brand),small fine paint brushes(they have to special order food save brushes).You don't just have to order from cake place,you'll be surprise other places carry the same items & brands that cake suppliers have but for less the cost.Hope this help.

ninatat Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 2:00am
post #5 of 9

have you gone to michael's i've found they have quite a large selection last week they had a 50% off and they also take jo-anns coupons. i saved alot with the coupons

ninatat Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 2:01am
post #6 of 9

have you gone to michael's i've found they have quite a large selection last week they had a 50% off and they also take jo-anns coupons. i saved alot with the coupons

ninatat Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 2:02am
post #7 of 9

ninatat Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 2:03am
post #8 of 9

ninatat Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 2:04am
post #9 of 9

have you gone to michael's i've found they have quite a large selection last week they had a 50% off and they also take jo-anns coupons. i saved alot with the coupons i had 5 and she let me use them all, i'm taking my class at Michaeel's and then they give you 10% of wilton supplies. when you got your receipt it had coupon 40% off items for the next week, i couldn't go no money, normally i would have only been able to purchase 1 iyou a month, i saved over $80.00. personally i have found buying on line kind of pricy but i have bought a few cutters, there is also place near me that carries all supplies, you might want to google cake decorating supply store in your area. you can also try e-bay, but watch the shipping prices. i've bought items from there

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%