Fondant Roses??

Decorating By SunniB Updated 29 Jun 2009 , 8:11pm by Texas_Rose

SunniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SunniB Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 7:19pm
post #1 of 5

My name is Sunni.. long time forum stalker first time posting icon_redface.gif I have never worked with fondant before so when I decided to make my own wedding cake to save money I knew it would be buttercream.. Its now about a week and a half before the wedding and I changed my mind lol I am trying to teach myself to make fondant roses but all I have to go off of is rose pictures and a video on youtube. This is a pic of my very first fondant rose.. if any one could give me some tips on how to make it better I would be very gratefull! icon_biggrin.gif
LL

4 replies
curiegas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
curiegas Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 7:31pm
post #2 of 5

I think it looks great. The only suggestions I would have would be maybe roll out your fondant a little thinner.

And Congratulations on your wedding.

Cecilia

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 8:02pm
post #3 of 5

Beautiful! I made my first roses recently- I edged the petals with wet Luster Dust for a little more color and sheen.
A great video tutorial is http://cakesbyfrancesca.com.au/videos/rosetutorial.wmv She is making huge roses, but the techniques are clearly shown.

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 8:10pm
post #4 of 5

If you have some tylose powder (I think you can also use Wilton gumtex), mix it into your fondant to make gumpaste. You can roll gumpaste MUCH thinner than fondant, thereby making your roses look much more lifelike.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 8:11pm
post #5 of 5

I've been using the same tutorial and it works perfectly, if you follow her steps. I've got a couple of pictures in my photos of roses I've made using her method.

A couple of things I did differently...I didn't want to buy styrofoam balls, so I just made regular centers and let them dry. Also, I didn't have a big foam pad with a hole in it, so I cut a square from a styrofoam plate and made a hole in it. It works as a sort of table to hold the petals while you're attaching the other ones.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%