Hopefully Not True

Decorating By Yankie Updated 30 Jun 2009 , 3:03pm by bobwonderbuns

Yankie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yankie Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 6:55pm
post #1 of 32

My husband read an article about companies that are in financial trouble...one of them listed was Michael's. Not sure if they will close all stores or just some.

But just wanted to let you all know so that you can start taking advantage of their coupons every week and stack up on things you usually buy from them.

Again, i hope is not true...but it was in an article along with some other companies.

31 replies
Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 7:03pm
post #2 of 32

I hope not either. I have a friend that works for them, so I just e-mailed her to see what she can find out at work. If I get any info, I'll post it.

djcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djcakes Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 7:08pm
post #3 of 32

Haven't heard about Michaels, but I did read where Joann's was closing stores. icon_cry.gif

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 7:14pm
post #4 of 32

Oh no not joann's there's no where around here to buy fabric anymore...even walmart stopped selling fabric.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 10:18pm
post #5 of 32

Where did your husband read this article?

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 10:34pm
post #6 of 32

I'll have to be hospitalized if they close our Michael's.............. icon_cry.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 10:50pm
post #7 of 32

I know several JoAnns around here have closed but the rest of them are doing just fine. My cake teacher worked at Michaels for years and she's been telling me this story for years now so I can't say I'm all that surprised to hear it. A big part of the problem is that corporate does their own thing (to the disadvantage of the average store) and around here they expanded like crazy right before the economy tanked so a lot of these new Michaels which didn't properly get off the ground are now floundering. Top that with these new stupid rules they have like you can use the coupons on everything but what you want (books for example) -- I just go right across the parking lot to JoAnns and use the Michaels coupon and buy all the books I want -- I told Michaels that too -- in this economy pissing off customers is not a good thing to do folks! icon_confused.gif Oh well. Maybe they'll learn. Hopefully... icon_rolleyes.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 10:54pm
post #8 of 32

Ya know I wondered if something was going on with Michaels......lately I've noticed their inventory doesn't seem to change all that much, at least the stores I go to.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 11:01pm
post #9 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

Ya know I wondered if something was going on with Michaels......lately I've noticed their inventory doesn't seem to change all that much, at least the stores I go to.

Not only has their inventory not changed (except for the yellow plastic stuff in the Wilton aisle), but there's hardly ever anyone in the local Michael's here. They cut back on their polymer clay section to an extreme, got rid of almost an entire section of rubber stamps, and brought in all this Martha scrapbooking crap - you know, the overpriced tools with the pretty green handles. But, like I said above, there's nobody there to buy them.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 11:15pm
post #10 of 32

I just got a reply to a post I put on Michael's site from an "Administrator" saying "Check the date on the postings - that is an old rumor". So I hope he's right. The store by me has been stocking more not less, so they don't look like they are going anywhere soon (I hope).

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 11:28pm
post #11 of 32

oh no, not michael's! icon_cry.gif they're the only suppliers of cake stuff around my area! icon_cry.gif

Yankie Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 3:52am
post #12 of 32

My husband read the article about 30days ago on cnnfn is the financial news network. They had them listed as one of the retailers that might not make it past this year along with Barnes and Nobles,Claires,blockbuster and some other ones. Aparently they are on a death watch lost that's what they call it. Aparently Univision, rite aids too, you can go to market watch. Com and look it up

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 5:23am
post #13 of 32

I believe my mother mentioned the same thing a long time ago.

jeniflo83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeniflo83 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 5:51am
post #14 of 32

The store that was close to me just closed a couple months ago. There wasn't much of a warning either. I went there and there were no closing signs or anything then a couple weeks later I went there and they were gone. icon_cry.gif

merciermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
merciermom Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 5:55am
post #15 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by diane

oh no, not michael's! icon_cry.gif they're the only suppliers of cake stuff around my area! icon_cry.gif

icon_mad.gif NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!! icon_mad.gif

I CAN NOT handle this news if it's true!!!!!!!! icon_cry.gif

NO NO NOT Michaels!!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

icon_cry.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_mad.gificon_cry.gificon_mad.gif

Please Say it isn't SOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Yankie Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 1:41pm
post #16 of 32

The posting came out in march of this year. My husband is in the finance industry and so he told me about the Death list. They are having a bad year.

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 2:34pm
post #17 of 32

I work at Michael's as a WMI. Class signup has been low too, across the board. We are actually cutting our our day classes at our store due to low attendance.

I know our store manager said they are cutting down stock on items and will keep a more "basic" supply on things, rather than what you would have seen the store look like back in 2007 or so.

Probably more $1 items, less large items, more textiles and yarns (since people always knit in tight economies) and less of the expensive framing, and higher end-items..

Someone in corporate Michael's tends to think these over-priced Martha Stewart kits and scrapbooking items must have a good profit margin....*shrug*... either that or they are saying to themselves "well... if we need to fill up this expensive floor space in this expensive lease in this expensive strip mall... may as well fill it up with expensive items."

icon_wink.gif

Either way, I think Wilton products will be downsized a bit as well as classes.

loriana Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 2:35pm
post #18 of 32

I work at Michael's as a WMI. Class signup has been low too, across the board. We are actually cutting our our day classes at our store due to low attendance.

I know our store manager said they are cutting down stock on items and will keep a more "basic" supply on things, rather than what you would have seen the store look like back in 2007 or so.

Probably more $1 items, less large items, more textiles and yarns (since people always knit in tight economies) and less of the expensive framing, and higher end-items..

Someone in corporate Michael's tends to think these over-priced Martha Stewart kits and scrapbooking items must have a good profit margin....*shrug*... either that or they are saying to themselves "well... if we need to fill up this expensive floor space in this expensive lease in this expensive strip mall... may as well fill it up with expensive items."

icon_wink.gif

loriana Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 2:35pm
post #19 of 32

icon_wink.gif

loriana Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 2:36pm
post #20 of 32

icon_wink.gif

loriana Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 2:36pm
post #21 of 32

icon_wink.gif

loriana Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 2:37pm
post #22 of 32

icon_wink.gif

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 2:50pm
post #23 of 32

Great what next. They closed the Ben Franklin by me a few months ago so now Michael's is the only place to get any kind of craft supplies besides Wal-mart and they have NOTHING worth the trip.

The Michael's isn't even in the town I live in - it's a half an hour away but at least it's something. There is no fabric store in my town either it's in the same town as the Michael's and if they cut back on any more they can close the doors also(Hancock Fabrics). They used to have a great craft section - GONE - taken over by lamps and knick knacks and ugly stuff that no one wants that sits there for months.

Can't buy Hi Ratio shortening, Bettercreme, LorAnn flavorings, etc. Have to travel 2 or more hours if I want anything. No cake supply stores of any kind clsoe by. So if Michael's goes maybe my cake decorating will go also. I am not going to pay full price for Wilton cake boards and Wilton gum paste at Wal-Mart.

Peridot Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 2:51pm
post #24 of 32

Great what next. They closed the Ben Franklin by me a few months ago so now Michael's is the only place to get any kind of craft supplies besides Wal-mart and they have NOTHING worth the trip.

The Michael's isn't even in the town I live in - it's a half an hour away but at least it's something. There is no fabric store in my town either it's in the same town as the Michael's and if they cut back on any more they can close the doors also(Hancock Fabrics). They used to have a great craft section - GONE - taken over by lamps and knick knacks and ugly stuff that no one wants that sits there for months.

Can't buy Hi Ratio shortening, Bettercreme, LorAnn flavorings, etc. Have to travel 2 or more hours if I want anything. No cake supply stores of any kind clsoe by. So if Michael's goes maybe my cake decorating will go also. I am not going to pay full price for Wilton cake boards and Wilton gum paste at Wal-Mart.

Peridot Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 2:52pm
post #25 of 32

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 2:53pm
post #26 of 32

Well hopefully that's not the case! I can't believe that some of the Jo-Ann's are closing. That's awful. Where will we buy fabric to make stuff? The government just needs to get our economy rolling. Why can't we put Greenspan back in????

cylstrial Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 2:54pm
post #27 of 32

Well hopefully that's not the case! I can't believe that some of the Jo-Ann's are closing. That's awful. Where will we buy fabric to make stuff? The government just needs to get our economy rolling. Why can't we put Greenspan back in????

cylstrial Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 2:55pm
post #28 of 32

Peridot Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 2:55pm
post #29 of 32

Peridot Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 2:56pm
post #30 of 32

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%