1St Tupsy Turvy

Decorating By solascakes Updated 30 Jun 2009 , 6:55pm by solascakes

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 6:39pm
post #1 of 25

This is my first TT cake,I couldn't sleep as I kept expecting the top to slide off.I used 4 dowels in the bottom tier but no central dowell,I tried but the sharpened dowell couldn't penetrate the board on the top tier. I can see so many flaws cos it's not so neat like some I've seen,can I have your comments please.Even though it's meant to be a wonky design it looks more like dented to me.TIA.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1404642

24 replies
solascakes Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 7:58pm
post #2 of 25

bump

in2cakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
in2cakes2 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 8:09pm
post #3 of 25

You have done a great job!! thumbs_up.gif Trust me I made my first TT this weekend and it exploded, yours is perfect! icon_lol.gif

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 8:14pm
post #4 of 25

It looks cute, did you cut out a flat area for your second layer to stand on?

solascakes Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 8:18pm
post #5 of 25

in2cakes2 how and when did it explode.I keep waiting for the customer to call me and say it scattered,lol

solascakes Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 8:20pm
post #6 of 25

snocilla I did try but it wasn't very flat and I just placed the top tier like that.

in2cakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
in2cakes2 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 8:21pm
post #7 of 25

You should be ok cause mine exploded shortly after I stacked it. Oh and I had four dowels in the two bottom tiers and a long dowel driventhrough all three down the middle. thumbs_up.gif

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 8:27pm
post #8 of 25

Even if it's only somewhat flat, I think it will be fine.... BTW my Wilton instructor recommended using dog nail clippers to cut and sharpen dowel rods... it works wonders, and I haven't had any trouble with the sharpened ends going through the cake board...

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 8:54pm
post #9 of 25

My first--and only--Topsy Turvy cake was to welcome our daughter home from studying for a semester in Italy. While we were driving to the airport to pick her up, our other daughter called my cell phone and said, "You know that cake that was on the counter?"
"Was?"
"It kinda fell over."
It was a triple decker, covered in Wilton fondant. The top two tiers toppled. No center dowel, and I think my other dowels were uneven. Live and learn.
I didn't take a picture before because we were in such a rush to get to the airport. But it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I was able to stack it back up and take a quick picture from the "good" side. It's a good thing it was for family. I had a good chuckle over it. And it still tasted good, except for the Wilton fondant, which I will NEVER use again.
I'll try again someday. Don't be discouraged. I'm not.

solascakes Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 9:05pm
post #10 of 25

Wow dog nail clippers ,I might try that someday.Thanks all for your comments and tips.

bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 9:10pm
post #11 of 25

Overall I think the cake looks great. My first topsy in in my photos and boy was it scary. Your cake is decorated soooo much prettier than mine.

What I did when I carved the cakes was at the top, I started from the absolute edge of the cake...cut in a downward angle, then flipped it over opposite direction to where I got the downward slope look. I'm hoping that I'm coming off clear...I usually don't. I think that may be why the top tier doesnt have that sharp of a slope on your cake.

Don't be discouraged though because they are a lot of fun. I haven't tried another one yet but look forward to covering in fondant. Your fondant work looks so nice. Me and fondant haven't been getting along to good lately LOL

hth

bakermommy4 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 9:18pm
post #12 of 25

Oh yeah, and like snocilla said about the flat center....you can use the cake board from the top tier or the pan and cut out a circle that size...you want to cut into the bottom tier some to make like a "nest" for the top tier to set flat on...that way it's less likely to slide and fall off because it'll be setting flat on the bottom tier and not angled.

Hope that was clear cuz again...I see it in my head but I usually don't explain well with words.

solascakes Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 10:06pm
post #13 of 25

bakermommy4 you are right,I didn't understand but I think I have an idea, so I'll try it next time.Thanks a lot.

bakermommy4 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 11:06pm
post #14 of 25

sorry that I don't get my point across very well. There may be a tutorial here somewhere, I'll check for you.

solascakes Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 9:02am
post #15 of 25

Thanks

solascakes Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 9:03am
post #16 of 25

Thanks

TheCakeDude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeDude Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 4:17pm
post #17 of 25

Sounds like youve dodged a bullet for your first topsy turvy! My first one I had to re-do the top 2 tiers because I cut the angle too sharply and the weight of the fondant made them crumple over. Since then I havent had any problems with them, I just dowel the hell out of em. I usually run a full length dowel in the middle and top tiers. Also, and ive tried it both ways, I like to just stack at an angle instead of cutting a ledge. It seems to make the cake look more zany, and its easier!

TheCakeDude Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 4:18pm
post #18 of 25

Sounds like youve dodged a bullet for your first topsy turvy! My first one I had to re-do the top 2 tiers because I cut the angle too sharply and the weight of the fondant made them crumple over. Since then I havent had any problems with them, I just dowel the hell out of em. I usually run a full length dowel in the middle and top tiers. Also, and ive tried it both ways, I like to just stack at an angle instead of cutting a ledge. It seems to make the cake look more zany, and its easier!

TheCakeDude Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 4:19pm
post #19 of 25

TheCakeDude Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 4:20pm
post #20 of 25

TheCakeDude Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 4:21pm
post #21 of 25

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 4:24pm
post #22 of 25

I just finished watching sugarshack's "totally topsy turvy" DVD and I have to tell you I learned so much. It will definitely change the way I carve and stack them. That DVD is awsome! I highly recommend it to everyone!!!

tiggy2 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 4:25pm
post #23 of 25

I just finished watching sugarshack's "totally topsy turvy" DVD and I have to tell you I learned so much. It will definitely change the way I carve and stack them. That DVD is awsome! I highly recommend it to everyone!!!

tiggy2 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 4:26pm
post #24 of 25

solascakes Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 6:55pm
post #25 of 25

Thanks ladies,I'll try and get sharon's dvd,i'm sure i'll learn a lot. What's happening to the posts appearing 2 or 3 times,probably cos Heath and Jackie are not around for now.Thanks everybody btw.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%