Help! Need A Stiff Buttercream Recipe For Under Fondant!

Decorating By KimmieJ Updated 1 Jul 2009 , 3:59pm by KimmieJ

KimmieJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimmieJ Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 5:41pm
post #1 of 33

I have this problem with my buttercream getting super soft under my fondant once its been sitting out of the fridge, while I'm working on it. Make the fondant look lumpy!

Anyone have a suggestion on a stiff recipe that doesn't involve adding a ton of powdered sugar? I've asked this before but not getting alot of answers. I see shows like Ace of Cakes and the Cake Boss used BC but I just can't get it right icon_sad.gif TIA!

32 replies
umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 5:56pm
post #2 of 33

Hmmm, what BC recipe are you using? Have you tried indydeb's recipe? If not, here it is
http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6992-Indydebis-Crisco-Based-Buttercream-Icing.html
HTH

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 5:59pm
post #3 of 33

I was going to suggest Indydebi's recipe too icon_biggrin.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 7:54pm
post #4 of 33

You can also use ganache, it wont get soft.

KimmieJ Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 7:57pm
post #5 of 33

Thanks! I haven't tried Indydebi's! How is the taste? Is it sweet or not too bad? icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 9:19pm
post #6 of 33

If your icing needs to be thicker, add more sugar. I can't figure out why you specify "without using a lot of sugar" .... that's what icing is made of.

Why are you refrigerating it? If you put something in a cold environment, then move it to a room temp environment, it will start to soften. I use butter as an example. Put it in the 'frig and it gets hard. Take it out of the 'frig and it gets soft. That's just how it works. It's 2nd grade science. If you don't want it to soften when it's not in the 'frig, then don't put it in the 'frig.

KimmieJ Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 9:41pm
post #7 of 33

My apologies if you felt that I was being ignorant. I don't feel that the reference to 2nd grade science was at all necessary. I understand that things get harder in the fridge and softer out of the fridge. My question was more or less, is there something that will stay stiff/firm in the fridge or out of the fridge.

I specifided "without using alot of sugar" b/c I've heard of adding more powdered sugar but have tried that and the result is a buttercream that it too sickening sweet. I was searching other alternatives, maybe there are none.

I honestly though CC was a great site for getting help on my cake projects especially since I'm still new at it. I didn't realize that I'd be insulted for just posting a question icon_sad.gif

MACakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MACakes Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 11:45pm
post #8 of 33

I agree Kimmie, that was rude! Not everyone will belittle you. It does make new cakers almost afraid to ask a question.

Try the ganache, you might like the results better. There are a couple of good recipes on this site.

MACakes Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 11:46pm
post #9 of 33

dup

MACakes Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 11:47pm
post #10 of 33

I agree Kimmie, that was rude! Not everyone will belittle you. It does make new cakers almost afraid to ask a question.

Try the ganache, you might like the results better. There are a couple of good recipes on this site.

tiggy2 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 12:25am
post #11 of 33

I don't think she was belittling you, just stating facts. BC is made of sugar and is going to be sweet. Ganache is made of chocolate and cream and will also be sweet although it will be firm, however I wouldn't refrigerate it. You could try a meringue BC as they aren't as sweet but they are very soft.

tiggy2 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 12:26am
post #12 of 33

Dup post

tiggy2 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 12:27am
post #13 of 33

Dup post

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 12:37am
post #14 of 33

kimmieJ, don,t be intimidated on asking more questions .. everyone doesn,t answer that way.. so, if you have anymore questions.. just come on back.. too many decorators on here to help you grow in your cake decorating.. hth

icer101 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 12:38am
post #15 of 33

kimmieJ, don,t be intimidated on asking more questions .. everyone doesn,t answer that way.. so, if you have anymore questions.. just come on back.. too many decorators on here to help you grow in your cake decorating.. hth

icer101 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 12:39am
post #16 of 33

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 12:40am
post #17 of 33

Try putting a thinner layer of buttercream. Some people only crumb coat before putting on the fondant. Also to get a firmer buttercream start out with less milk or water, which ever you use. The recipe I use starts with 2 tlb. of water and you get stiff buttercream, and you add liquid a little at a time to get the consistancy you want. But if you get it to thick it will be hard to frost your cake. Good luck.

paulstonia Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 12:41am
post #18 of 33

double post

paulstonia Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 12:42am
post #19 of 33

double post

paulstonia Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 12:44am
post #20 of 33

double post

paulstonia Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 12:45am
post #21 of 33

and again

paulstonia Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 12:46am
post #22 of 33

and again.

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 12:49am
post #23 of 33

There was nothing wrong with your questions, KimmieJ. And yes, try the ganache under your fondant; you'll be very pleased.
Also.....check out Sugarshack's buttercream icing recipe, as it is excellent. AND her 'Perfect Fondant' instructional video, you'll be amazed at how much you'll learn from it. You can pm her here on CC, she's very nice and supportive of all levels of learners.
Best wishes to you, and don't stop learning!!

sweetjan Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 12:50am
post #24 of 33

There was nothing wrong with your questions, KimmieJ. And yes, try the ganache under your fondant; you'll be very pleased.
Also.....check out Sugarshack's buttercream icing recipe, as it is excellent. AND her 'Perfect Fondant' instructional video, you'll be amazed at how much you'll learn from it. You can pm her here on CC, she's very nice and supportive of all levels of learners.

post #25 of 33

post #26 of 33

cupcakeco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeco Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 12:54am
post #27 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

kimmieJ, don,t be intimidated on asking more questions .. everyone doesn,t answer that way.. so, if you have anymore questions.. just come on back..

Ditto ditto ditto!

I also agree that the remark about 2nd grade science was a bit condescending and perhaps unnecessary. Indydebi's known around here among other things for her no-bull type attitude, but Deb, I think that crossed the line. And with all due respect it's not the first time I've noticed that your bark was accompanied with a little bite... tapedshut.gif

cupcakeco Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 12:55am
post #28 of 33
Quote:

kimmieJ, don,t be intimidated on asking more questions .. everyone doesn,t answer that way.. so, if you have anymore questions.. just come on back..

Ditto ditto ditto!

I also agree that the remark about 2nd grade science was a bit condescending and perhaps unnecessary. Indydebi's known around here among other things for her no-bull type attitude, but Deb, I think that crossed the line. And with all due respect it's not the first time I've noticed that your bark was accompanied with a little bite... tapedshut.gif

cupcakeco Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 12:56am
post #29 of 33
Quote:

Ditto ditto ditto!

cupcakeco Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 12:58am
post #30 of 33
Quote:

Ditto ditto ditto!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%