How Hard Is A Topsy-Turvy In Buttercream?

Decorating By fruitsnack Updated 1 Jul 2009 , 2:58am by KitchenKat

fruitsnack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fruitsnack Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 5:40pm
post #1 of 16

I am making a cake to bring to a get-together on the 18th. Since no one else is telling me what to make, I finally get to try something new! I'm making MacsMom's smores WASC on the bottom tier and regular funfetti for the kids on the top tier. I don't do fondant, so how hard is it to make a topsy turvy with buttercream frosting? Any tips for a first timer?

15 replies
mcsky14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcsky14 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 6:07pm
post #2 of 16

I was actually looking for something and found your question. Sorry the reply is WAY too late. Wanted to let you know that I have done topsy turveys with fondant and buttercream. I have to say, I enjoy the buttercream version better. I think it's easier. With the fondant you have to decorate each layer then put the cake together. With the buttercream, what i did was stack the whole cake (three tier with 3 different flavor cakes) and then iced and decorated it. seemed much easier than worrying about stacking already decorated fondant cakes. Hope your cake turned out awesome.

Cakeandcupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeandcupcakes Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 12:46am
post #3 of 16

I did a topsy turvy in buttercream for my daughters birthday. I ended up have a little trouble with my icing being too sticky to crust, but if I hadn't it would have been no trouble. I ended up doing my middle layer with the grass tip to save myself the hassle of trying to smooth the middle. It seemed like I could get the top and bottom but it left marks in the middle.
LL

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 11:50am
post #4 of 16

I have only done 2 TT cakes, but both of them were buttercream. It isn't hard at all. Just make sure you cut those holes big enough for the next tier to set in!

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 12:01pm
post #5 of 16

Believe me, if I did it successfully, you can definitely do it. I just followed this video exactly:

Unlike a previous poster, I actually did decorate each tier separately in buttercream before assembling. Then, I just added the border in between the tiers. It's the Mardi Gras one in my photos.

Have fun! icon_wink.gif

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 12:02pm
post #6 of 16

Believe me, if I did it successfully, you can definitely do it. I just followed this video exactly:

Unlike a previous poster, I actually did decorate each tier separately in buttercream before assembling. Then, I just added the border in between the tiers. It's the Mardi Gras one in my photos.

Have fun! icon_wink.gif

Loucinda Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 12:03pm
post #7 of 16

I have only done 2 TT cakes, but both of them were buttercream. It isn't hard at all. Just make sure you cut those holes big enough for the next tier to set in!

Loucinda Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 12:41pm
post #8 of 16

Loucinda Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 12:43pm
post #9 of 16

Loucinda Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 12:54pm
post #10 of 16

tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 1:03pm
post #11 of 16

I just did one this past weekend. It was actually pretty easy. I set each tier in the fridge to set up before I stacked them. A previous poster mentioned to make sure the whole is big enough to set the next tier in....yes yes yes, I didn't make the hole quite big enough and had to take tier off icon_cry.gif it didn't turn out to bad. it's not in my pics yet, but hope to get time to post it later this week.

tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 1:04pm
post #12 of 16

I just did one this past weekend. It was actually pretty easy. I set each tier in the fridge to set up before I stacked them. A previous poster mentioned to make sure the whole is big enough to set the next tier in....yes yes yes, I didn't make the hole quite big enough and had to take tier off icon_cry.gif it didn't turn out to bad. it's not in my pics yet, but hope to get time to post it later this week.

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 2:55am
post #13 of 16

I make tt cakes in both fondant and bc. With both styles I cover/frost each layer separately and then stack. If using bc, the key is to let the frosted cakes cool in the fridge until the frosting is really set. Then I take it out, rub the frosting with a piece of acetate so that it gets super smooth and shiny then fridge again. I stack them when the cakes are cold and that way I don't mar the frosting.

BTW I use an all-butter IMBC.

KitchenKat Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 2:56am
post #14 of 16

I make tt cakes in both fondant and bc. With both styles I cover/frost each layer separately and then stack. If using bc, the key is to let the frosted cakes cool in the fridge until the frosting is really set. Then I take it out, rub the frosting with a piece of acetate so that it gets super smooth and shiny then fridge again. I stack them when the cakes are cold and that way I don't mar the frosting.

KitchenKat Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 2:57am
post #15 of 16

KitchenKat Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 2:58am
post #16 of 16

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%