Double Duty Parents...

Lounge By pinkflower1212 Updated 30 Jun 2009 , 12:47pm by Shelle_75

pinkflower1212 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 5:08pm
post #1 of 4

How do you do it? I am a single mom to 4 wonderful kids..17, 13, 11 & 5.
I have them spread between highschool and starting kindergarten. I have no help from outside our house, and was just wondering.... how do you do it? Getting a home cooked meal on the table nightly, all the laundry & cleaning, special time with each child, family time, practices, and above all ME TIME? I know it sounds so over whelming but just wondering to see if I could be doing something differently to get just that little extra out of time for something else icon_smile.gif

3 replies
playingwithsugar Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 6:07pm
post #2 of 4

This is exactly why I posted the thread about double duty parents and Father's Day.

I am still a double duty mom. I only had 1 of my own to raise, and had a hard enough time juggling work and family. By the time he was 7, he was doing his own laundry. By age 8, we had plastic plates, bowls, and cups, so he could wash dishes. By age 14, I was paying him to clean the entire house.

With my parents and grandparents all passed on, and nobody to assist me with him, I had no choice but to wait until he graduated from high school before I could find some "me" time. I hope you have people who can help you guide them through life.

It isn't easy, but you will get through it. You have to teach your children to help around the house. At their ages, the only cleaning you should have to do is the heavy-duty stuff - windows, behind the fridge, carpets, etc. Laundry and cooking can be done by your oldest children. The younger ones can be dusting, picking up toys and clothes, emptying waste cans.

Pretend you're the CEO of some small company, and delegate the tasks that will give you time to administer the business.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

pinkflower1212 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 7:48pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks for your input, it really helps. Sometimes being a double duty parent is super stressful and just looking for ways to spend more time with the kids without feeling like something else around the house isn't getting done because of it.

I know that the dust will be there tomorrow, and on many occassions it is, but there is only so much I can give to them, before there is nothing left to give and I need to recharge.

If anyone else has some input on how they double duty, please I'm all ears, un i mean eyes. LOLOLOL

Shelle_75 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 12:47pm
post #4 of 4

I am not a double duty parent, but one of my best friends is, TO EIGHT KIDS!! They range in age from sixteen down to one. She has a lot of support from friends and family. I think one key to her survival is that everyone in the family (all the kids, I mean) pitches in and helps out. Your kids are all of ages that everyone can do something to help mom out. God bless you and keep you strong for your family. You are a hero.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%