Can We Talk Cake Boards?

Decorating By ybeal Updated 30 Jun 2009 , 12:20am by bisbqueenb

ybeal Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 4:31pm
post #1 of 15

Can anyone give some tips/techinques for covering cake bases? I buy rounds etc. from Michaels and use those but I admit that I'm usually so focused on the cake that I forget about the board icon_redface.gif

What's your favorite method?

14 replies
cheferyn Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 4:37pm
post #2 of 15

I cover all my boards in freezer paper.

mrswendel Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 4:41pm
post #3 of 15

I use foamcore for all of my cakes now. I cut the board to whatever shape, cover it with a corresponding wrapping paper and then cover it with clear contact paper. Then I glue or tape the actual cake round to that so the cake doesn't come in contact with the cake base. I find the foamcore alot sturdier than a plain cardboard round and you can use whatever wrapping paper you like (I get the wrapping paper at the dollar store)

lchristi27 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 4:51pm
post #4 of 15

I always forget too! If I'm doing a really heavy cake, my hubby usually finds sraps of wood at Home Depot and they cut to size for me. Usually costs about 2-3 bucks at the most. I'll cover them with the wilton foil so it's food grade. Very easy and economical!

tonedna Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 4:59pm
post #5 of 15

I use the cake drums for the bottom of my tiered cakes and the cardboards covered in wax on both sides for the upper tiers.
Edna icon_smile.gif

TheNana Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 5:19pm
post #6 of 15

My favorite thing for sheet cakes is the white styrofoam sheets that come in the packing of shipments where I work. I now have a closet full of them. I will either wrap them in tissue paper and cover with a plastic lace tablecloth piece (makes it look a little fancier), or I will just use a matching color plastic tablecloth piece to wrap in. For round cakes I use the precut cake boards, but I wrap them in the same way. I can't cut the rounds with my styrofoam cutter very well. I also sometimes use foamcore if I don't have a sheet of styrofoam that is large enough. The styrofoam stays pretty stiff since my cakes are usually waaay heavy! Using the plastic tablecloths means I can clean them really well before I put the cakes on them. I also have used cheap wrapping paper and covered with clear contact paper if I need a specific theme.

disubu Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 5:25pm
post #7 of 15

I cover cake boards (or make my own out of foam core) with white foil, then put fondant on them, and wrap a ribbon around the outside. Sometimes I put a design on the fondant on the board. I do this for fondant covered cakes. For buttercream sheet cakes, I cover the board with the white foil or tablecloth, and sometimes I pipe a design onto it.

ybeal Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 6:05pm
post #8 of 15

Great ideas, where do you buy the clear contact paper? I'm thinking I should have some on hand for when I forget the next one, then I can use the wrapping paper trick icon_smile.gif

Rylan Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 6:07pm
post #9 of 15

I cover the base of my cakes with fondant. With the cake boards, I use plastic wrap.

indydebi Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 7:21pm
post #10 of 15

I use cake cardboards wrapped in the cake fanci-foil. For larger cakes, I wrap up to 3 boards together. Turn the boards so the grains run in opposite directions for added strength.

L_Collins Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 7:36pm
post #11 of 15

You can buy clear contact paper at wal-mart in the isle that has shelf liners and organizers. I also use plastic tablecloths on my cake board. I get all the cardboard I need from Sam's and use my cake pan as a guide. I cut the cardboard with a razor utility knife. I quit using Wilton cakeboards a long time ago...There is no way that I'm paying for cardboard!

dandelion56602 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 8:03pm
post #12 of 15

Tonedna, I remember from a post way back that you covered both sides of your boards. How do you do it? Do you cut little slits around the circle (like the Wilton book & tape them down & do that on both sides or do you do something else?

bisbqueenb Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 12:18am
post #13 of 15

For several square wedding cakes, I have usesd 16-18" square ceramic tiles form Home Depot. I put a smaller thick cardboard on the underside to give a little 'finger room space', then coat the tile with a bit of corn syrup and add a layer of fondant to match my cake. It can be done ahead of time. Then I spread a very thin layer of corn syrup where I will place the bottom tier [ which is on its same size cardboard cake circle] and continue adding the tiers with support for each tier.

When I deliver the cake, I use a glue stick and go around the outside edge of the tile and then attach a narrow complimenting color ribbon to finish it. I do this last so I don't 'muss' it when I move it.

bisbqueenb Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 12:19am
post #14 of 15

For several square wedding cakes, I have usesd 16-18" square ceramic tiles form Home Depot. I put a smaller thick cardboard on the underside to give a little 'finger room space', then coat the tile with a bit of corn syrup and add a layer of fondant to match my cake. It can be done ahead of time. Then I spread a very thin layer of corn syrup where I will place the bottom tier [ which is on its same size cardboard cake circle] and continue adding the tiers with support for each tier.

When I deliver the cake, I use a glue stick and go around the outside edge of the tile and then attach a narrow complimenting color ribbon to finish it. I do this last so I don't 'muss' it when I move it.

bisbqueenb Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 12:20am
post #15 of 15

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%