Can We Talk Cake Boards?

Decorating By ybeal Updated 30 Jun 2009 , 12:20am by bisbqueenb

ybeal  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ybeal Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 4:31pm
post #1 of 15

Can anyone give some tips/techinques for covering cake bases? I buy rounds etc. from Michaels and use those but I admit that I'm usually so focused on the cake that I forget about the board icon_redface.gif

What's your favorite method?

14 replies
 cheferyn  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheferyn Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 4:37pm
post #2 of 15

I cover all my boards in freezer paper.

mrswendel  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 4:41pm
post #3 of 15

I use foamcore for all of my cakes now. I cut the board to whatever shape, cover it with a corresponding wrapping paper and then cover it with clear contact paper. Then I glue or tape the actual cake round to that so the cake doesn't come in contact with the cake base. I find the foamcore alot sturdier than a plain cardboard round and you can use whatever wrapping paper you like (I get the wrapping paper at the dollar store)

lchristi27  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 4:51pm
post #4 of 15

I always forget too! If I'm doing a really heavy cake, my hubby usually finds sraps of wood at Home Depot and they cut to size for me. Usually costs about 2-3 bucks at the most. I'll cover them with the wilton foil so it's food grade. Very easy and economical!

tonedna  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 4:59pm
post #5 of 15

I use the cake drums for the bottom of my tiered cakes and the cardboards covered in wax on both sides for the upper tiers.
Edna icon_smile.gif

TheNana  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheNana Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 5:19pm
post #6 of 15

My favorite thing for sheet cakes is the white styrofoam sheets that come in the packing of shipments where I work. I now have a closet full of them. I will either wrap them in tissue paper and cover with a plastic lace tablecloth piece (makes it look a little fancier), or I will just use a matching color plastic tablecloth piece to wrap in. For round cakes I use the precut cake boards, but I wrap them in the same way. I can't cut the rounds with my styrofoam cutter very well. I also sometimes use foamcore if I don't have a sheet of styrofoam that is large enough. The styrofoam stays pretty stiff since my cakes are usually waaay heavy! Using the plastic tablecloths means I can clean them really well before I put the cakes on them. I also have used cheap wrapping paper and covered with clear contact paper if I need a specific theme.

disubu  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
disubu Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 5:25pm
post #7 of 15

I cover cake boards (or make my own out of foam core) with white foil, then put fondant on them, and wrap a ribbon around the outside. Sometimes I put a design on the fondant on the board. I do this for fondant covered cakes. For buttercream sheet cakes, I cover the board with the white foil or tablecloth, and sometimes I pipe a design onto it.

ybeal  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ybeal Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 6:05pm
post #8 of 15

Great ideas, where do you buy the clear contact paper? I'm thinking I should have some on hand for when I forget the next one, then I can use the wrapping paper trick icon_smile.gif

Rylan  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 6:07pm
post #9 of 15

I cover the base of my cakes with fondant. With the cake boards, I use plastic wrap.

indydebi  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 7:21pm
post #10 of 15

I use cake cardboards wrapped in the cake fanci-foil. For larger cakes, I wrap up to 3 boards together. Turn the boards so the grains run in opposite directions for added strength.

L_Collins  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
L_Collins Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 7:36pm
post #11 of 15

You can buy clear contact paper at wal-mart in the isle that has shelf liners and organizers. I also use plastic tablecloths on my cake board. I get all the cardboard I need from Sam's and use my cake pan as a guide. I cut the cardboard with a razor utility knife. I quit using Wilton cakeboards a long time ago...There is no way that I'm paying for cardboard!

dandelion56602  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 8:03pm
post #12 of 15

Tonedna, I remember from a post way back that you covered both sides of your boards. How do you do it? Do you cut little slits around the circle (like the Wilton book & tape them down & do that on both sides or do you do something else?

bisbqueenb  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 12:18am
post #13 of 15

For several square wedding cakes, I have usesd 16-18" square ceramic tiles form Home Depot. I put a smaller thick cardboard on the underside to give a little 'finger room space', then coat the tile with a bit of corn syrup and add a layer of fondant to match my cake. It can be done ahead of time. Then I spread a very thin layer of corn syrup where I will place the bottom tier [ which is on its same size cardboard cake circle] and continue adding the tiers with support for each tier.

When I deliver the cake, I use a glue stick and go around the outside edge of the tile and then attach a narrow complimenting color ribbon to finish it. I do this last so I don't 'muss' it when I move it.

bisbqueenb Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 12:19am
post #14 of 15

For several square wedding cakes, I have usesd 16-18" square ceramic tiles form Home Depot. I put a smaller thick cardboard on the underside to give a little 'finger room space', then coat the tile with a bit of corn syrup and add a layer of fondant to match my cake. It can be done ahead of time. Then I spread a very thin layer of corn syrup where I will place the bottom tier [ which is on its same size cardboard cake circle] and continue adding the tiers with support for each tier.

When I deliver the cake, I use a glue stick and go around the outside edge of the tile and then attach a narrow complimenting color ribbon to finish it. I do this last so I don't 'muss' it when I move it.

bisbqueenb Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 12:20am
post #15 of 15

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%