Cream Cheese Icing!!! Please Help!!

Decorating By hedwards41302 Updated 16 Jul 2009 , 8:50pm by cs_confections

hedwards41302 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hedwards41302 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 3:41pm
post #1 of 10

I have a client who has requested a vanilla cake with Cream Cheese icing. One, I have never worked with this kind of icing as far as decorating. Two, it is easy to decorate with?? She is wanting a High School Musical cake so I'm sure it will have alot of details and such. Does cream cheese icing color well! Please help me! I'm freaking out! This is a very big cake, I won't it to be great!!

9 replies
txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 4:03pm
post #2 of 10

I would suggest the decorations be done in BC instead of cream cheese. BC is a stiffer icing and better for decorating.

hedwards41302 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hedwards41302 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 4:06pm
post #3 of 10

Yeah that is what I was thinking. Does anyone have a great recipe for Cream Cheese icing? Thanks

friedturtle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
friedturtle Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 4:11pm
post #4 of 10

Here's a recipe I have but I haven't tried it out yet:

Crusting Cream Cheese Icing

4 oz Butter (1 stick), softened
9 oz Cream Cheese, softened
2 pounds powdered Sugar
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp Vanilla Extract

Place the butter in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat at medium-high speed until creamy. Add the cream cheese and beat until it is incorporated and creamy. Slowly add the remaining ingredients and beat at low speed until smooth. Continue beating at medium speed until light and fluffy.

Makes 3 cups - Enough to fill and ice a 9-inch cake.

notjustcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcakes Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 4:23pm
post #5 of 10

When I have a client wanting cream cheese icing, I offer them the option of having it as a filling instead.. and then I tell them that it doesn't hold up well for all the decorations especially in the heat. I've never had one say no to this...just a thought

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 6:13pm
post #6 of 10

I've made cream cheese decorations and it help up totally fine.

Try out the recipe from designmeacake.com

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 8:20pm
post #7 of 10
Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 8:29pm
post #8 of 10

Try Earlene's --IMHO it's the best. Soft cream cheese flavor, but stability and crusting like true BC. No need for the buttevan mentioned. Use pure vanilla instead.

http://www.earlenescakes.com/icings.htm

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 8:36pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by friedturtle

Here's a recipe I have but I haven't tried it out yet:

Crusting Cream Cheese Icing

4 oz Butter (1 stick), softened
9 oz Cream Cheese, softened
2 pounds powdered Sugar
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp Vanilla Extract

Place the butter in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat at medium-high speed until creamy. Add the cream cheese and beat until it is incorporated and creamy. Slowly add the remaining ingredients and beat at low speed until smooth. Continue beating at medium speed until light and fluffy.

Makes 3 cups - Enough to fill and ice a 9-inch cake.

Sounds like a great recipe, but still doesn't seem like it's going to crust very well, maybe a little, but with that butter AND cream cheese, i don't see it being the BEST option for decorations. I'm not sure what type of decorations OP plans to use, but this might work for icing the cake, maybe stiffen some of the icing with more sugar for the border and use a High School Musical sugar picture to lay on the cake or some of the plastic figurines or something. Not sure what design you want. then you said it's a big cake and this recipe yields 3 cups, so you would be doing a triple recipe, i imagine.

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 8:50pm
post #10 of 10

I recently used the cream cheese buttercream recipe at designmeacake.com and I thought it was very easy to work with. I did a HSM cake over a year ago (well before I discovered this wealth of information, CC), and the cream cheese frosting I was using then was not easy to work with. The mascot was done in Wilton glitter gel icings and glitter flakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%