Viva Paper Towel Method Smoothing

Decorating By MrsMabe Updated 27 Jun 2013 , 9:37pm by Lucky6

MrsMabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMabe Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 3:02pm
post #1 of 27

Could someone please either explain this technique to me or direct me to some instructions? I'm in desperate need of a method that works and have heard great things about it. Thanks!

26 replies
tabicat21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tabicat21 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 3:11pm
post #2 of 27
MrsMabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMabe Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 4:35pm
post #3 of 27

Thanks Tabicat!

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 4:46pm
post #4 of 27

A video tutoial by edna

cakegramma42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegramma42 Posted 29 Apr 2013 , 4:16pm
post #5 of 27

The page doesn't come up. Message says "page not created yet"

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 29 Apr 2013 , 4:59pm
post #6 of 27

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIXHFqpJK84&list=PL63DCAC4A055FCFE8&index=1

This is Edna showing how to ice a cake, including use a the paper towel method.

Plus1Weddings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Plus1Weddings Posted 29 Apr 2013 , 5:18pm
post #7 of 27

This method saved the day Friday night while working on my first "paying customer" wedding cake. 

Let the buttercream crust then use a clean, dry Viva papertowel to smooth the top and sides of the cake.  Most methods say to use a fondant smoother, but it was 10:30 at night and all I had were a Viva paper towel, my hands, and a flat glass that I used to smooth with.  It made the buttercream look like fondant.  My customer was thrilled b/c she was worried that the buttercream would look too rough and she wanted a fondant look (I'm a buttercream only girl).

TheLoveOfSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheLoveOfSugar Posted 2 May 2013 , 2:24am
post #8 of 27

A

Original message sent by denetteb

[URL=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIXHFqpJK84&list=PL63DCAC4A055FCFE8&index=1]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIXHFqpJK84&list=PL63DCAC4A055FCFE8&index=1[/URL]

This is Edna showing how to ice a cake, including use a the paper towel method.

I'm so glad you posted this video, thank you! I've been teaching myself to decorate cakes for a couple years now, and have come a long way. But oh how I wish I had seen this video a long time ago! I just bought Viva towels today with the intent of practicing tomorrow, hence the reason I was looking for advice on this method. Thanks for saving me the search time!! :)

denetteb Posted 2 May 2013 , 2:28am
post #9 of 27

It is amazing how a few simple techniques and tips can make all the difference.  I always struggled with the top corner, where the sides meet the top.  I would go round and round on the top and never got it very good on that corner.  Then I saw I think it was a seriouscakes you tube video and she went from the outside in, not round and round.  Shazam, made all the difference in the world.

cloviscole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cloviscole Posted 7 Jun 2013 , 4:22am
post #10 of 27

AI'm making a cake for work tomorrow and I bought the towels to try it. I'm excited to see if I can make it look that . Do you let the cake sit before using the towel? Or can you do right after icing. And which side of the towel goes against the cake?

denetteb Posted 7 Jun 2013 , 2:29pm
post #11 of 27

You need to let it sit just long enough for the icing to "crust."  You should be able to lightly touch it with a finger and no icing comes off on your finger.  Then you can use the viva.  I use either side, both have no imprint.  Use whatever side is smoother.

kaylawaylalayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylawaylalayla Posted 7 Jun 2013 , 4:25pm
post #12 of 27

does this only work with American butter cream?

cloviscole Posted 7 Jun 2013 , 4:51pm
post #13 of 27

AMy writing isn't to good but very pleased with it! Thanks ladies!!

[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3028188/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

kaylawaylalayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylawaylalayla Posted 7 Jun 2013 , 4:54pm
post #14 of 27

beautiful!

denetteb Posted 7 Jun 2013 , 6:51pm
post #15 of 27

Well done, Cloviscole, very smooth.  Can I make a suggestion for your next cake? 

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 8 Jun 2013 , 12:43am
post #16 of 27

Edna's crumbcoat looks like my finished product! lol

cloviscole Posted 8 Jun 2013 , 1:32am
post #17 of 27

AYes please!!

Well done, Cloviscole, very smooth.  Can I make a suggestion for your next cake? 

manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 8 Jun 2013 , 1:44am
post #18 of 27

A

Original message sent by remnant3333

I have seen Buddy Valastro  use poster board cut in pieces as big as a credit card, maybe a little bigger. Some people use their old credit cards of which they clean before using. I have seen others using the little cards that they have in Lowe's or Walmart which shows the paint colors when you are in the paint section. They normally use the opposite side of where the paint colors are not showing for smoothing the buttercream. Also, They are free when you are picking out paint color cards even if you do not buy any paint. 

Any of these will smooth the buttercream pretty smoothly. The Viva paper towel works also. Let us know how and what works for you. As always, practice, practice and more practice. The more you do it the easier it will get for you. Hang in there and do not give up!!! You will get better in time!!!! Your skills will greatly improve with more experience!!! And as others have said wait until icing has crusted before trying to smooth.

Who knows who wiped their nose or scratched their butt and then touched those paint cards... eww

cakegramma42 Posted 8 Jun 2013 , 3:21am
post #19 of 27

The Viva actually does have some embossing in it, but it's very slight and one side is smoother than the other. Definitely let the icing crust before trying to smooth. If humidity is high it can take quite awhile as I found out today doing a wedding cake for grandson.

denetteb Posted 8 Jun 2013 , 3:22am
post #20 of 27

It looks like you have your cake on a plain cake cardboard.  A single layer cardboard isn't very stiff and can flex.  If it flexes it can cause your icing to crack.  Plus if you upgrade your bottom cardboard it really ups the appearance and professionalism of your cake.  There are a ton of options including buying a drum, cutting foam core and covering it with coordinating colors, etc.  I don't sell cakes, just make as a hobby and have purchased a few different plates and platters at thrift stores to use for cakes.  I have a few rectangular, a square and several round items, plastic, metal and glass.  I just bring them back home with me for the next occasion.

I agree...ick to the idea of using paint chips to smooth cakes.  There are SO many better and hygienic methods than that.

cakegramma42 Posted 8 Jun 2013 , 3:37am
post #21 of 27

I purchased a 4 inch stainless steel spackling trowel at hardware store. Works great for icing sides, then using the Viva method on top and sides. I'll try to remember to get some close up pics when I put the cake together tomorrow.

cloviscole Posted 8 Jun 2013 , 6:38am
post #22 of 27

A

It looks like you have your cake on a plain cake cardboard.  A single layer cardboard isn't very stiff and can flex.  If it flexes it can cause your icing to crack.  Plus if you upgrade your bottom cardboard it really ups the appearance and professionalism of your cake.  There are a ton of options including buying a drum, cutting foam core and covering it with coordinating colors, etc.  I don't sell cakes, just make as a hobby and have purchased a few different plates and platters at thrift stores to use for cakes.  I have a few rectangular, a square and several round items, plastic, metal and glass.  I just bring them back home with me for the next occasion.

I agree...ick to the idea of using paint chips to smooth cakes.  There are SO many better and hygienic methods than that.

Thanks I'll definitely do that. It was las minute so I used the supplies I had leftover. Thanks for the video it really helped!

BatterUpCake Posted 8 Jun 2013 , 12:46pm
post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakegramma42 

I purchased a 4 inch stainless steel spackling trowel at hardware store. Works great for icing sides, then using the Viva method on top and sides. I'll try to remember to get some close up pics when I put the cake together tomorrow.

I did that yesterday also...$3. Not sure if it is stainless but I make sure to wash and dry after use because I know the ones in my garage rust .As for using Paint sample cards....What would they do when their cake is 9" high? I don't think those little cards are more than 3x3

BatterUpCake Posted 9 Jun 2013 , 11:10am
post #24 of 27

AI don't think anyone thought you did it. I know I was just commenting on it in general. I will check out the poster board method if I can find it on YouTube.

manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 9 Jun 2013 , 1:21pm
post #25 of 27

A

Original message sent by BatterUpCake

I don't think anyone thought you did it. I know I was just commenting on it in general. I will check out the poster board method if I can find it on YouTube.

Ditto

BatterUpCake Posted 27 Jun 2013 , 8:38pm
post #26 of 27

Oh he is just using it like  I use my bench scraper...for some reason I was picturing using it like the paper towel

Lucky6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lucky6 Posted 27 Jun 2013 , 9:37pm
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatterUpCake 

Oh he is just using it like  I use my bench scraper...for some reason I was picturing using it like the paper towel

Ditto

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%