How Do You Get Cream Cheese Buttercream To "crust"

Decorating By ktbug Updated 2 Jul 2009 , 2:44am by BMartin

ktbug Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 1:59pm
post #1 of 14

I made a birthday cake last night and used my cream cheese buttercream icing recipe. I am having problems getting it to crust. I think that it is because it only calls for 1/2 cup of crisco. What do you think? Any suggestions?

13 replies
sweet_teeth Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 2:07pm
post #2 of 14

The sugar to fat ratio is what determines whether or not it will crust.

Add more powdered sugar and it will crust.. but it will be much sweeter than traditional cream cheese frosting.

msladybug Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 2:17pm
post #3 of 14

Mine crusts fine. I always add 14 cups of powdered sugar to mine and it does perfect.

jamiekwebb Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 2:19pm
post #4 of 14

Wow that's not much crisco...heres the recipe I use

4 oz. cream cheese
1 stick softened butter or margarine
2 c. crisco
2 lbs. powder sugar
vanilla or any flavor of your chioce.

it works great and it isn't to sweet.

Mencked Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 2:26pm
post #5 of 14

There are a couple of really good crusting cream cheese icings in the recipe sections. I'll try to find them and post the links here.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6817-Wedding---Crusting-Cream-Cheese-Frosting.html
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2047-Crusting-Cream-Cheese-Icing.html

Both work very well!

matthewkyrankelly Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 2:39pm
post #6 of 14

I use 8oz. cream cheese, 8 oz. butter, 2lbs powdered sugar and flavoring. It crusts well. So much so, that plastic wrap doesn't affect it after crusting. I can cover a cake that is difficult to transport(not big enough box, odd size) with wrap without affecting the frosting or smearing. It is more frostingy than cream cheesy, if I can make up those words.

NewBaker2009 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 2:52pm
post #7 of 14

I am so happy I can across this post. My sister and I have the worst time with out "classroom" icing, we don't like it and it never crusts well enough. I am excited about trying a recipe with cream cheese. Quick question - all of my sugar is in a big tub - how many cups of sugar do you use for 2 lbs? I am horrible with conversions and very new to baking.

Win Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 3:05pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktbug

I made a birthday cake last night and used my cream cheese buttercream icing recipe. I am having problems getting it to crust. I think that it is because it only calls for 1/2 cup of crisco. What do you think? Any suggestions?

You are making cream cheese "frosting" --not cream cheese buttercream. icon_rolleyes.gif

I find the best, by far, is Earlene's Cream Cheese Buttercream. Link below. My note: You don't have to use butavan as mentioned in the recipe. Simply replace with flavors to your liking such as extra vanilla and Wilton butter flavoring. I personally love the McCormic French Vanilla flavoring as well. This is a fabulous ccbc and crusts beautifully as well as heat tolerant.

http://www.earlenescakes.com/icings.htm

umgrzfn Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 3:20pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBaker2009

I am so happy I can across this post. My sister and I have the worst time with out "classroom" icing, we don't like it and it never crusts well enough. I am excited about trying a recipe with cream cheese. Quick question - all of my sugar is in a big tub - how many cups of sugar do you use for 2 lbs? I am horrible with conversions and very new to baking.

There are 4 cups to 1lb

umgrzfn Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 3:24pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBaker2009

There are 4 cups to 1lb

auntbeesbaking Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 3:28pm
post #11 of 14

I also use 1 TB of Meringue powder in my frosting and that helps a lot! Good Luck!

auntbeesbaking Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 3:45pm
post #12 of 14

Ktbug,

I just went to that web site and my jaw dropped at her cakes! They are STUNNING!! Thank you for sharing that, it really blessed my day! icon_smile.gif

I've also been meaning to tell you, I love your signature! thumbs_up.gif

http://www.earlenescakes.com/icings.htm

indydebi Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 4:17pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiekwebb

Wow that's not much crisco...heres the recipe I use

4 oz. cream cheese
1 stick softened butter or margarine
2 c. crisco
2 lbs. powder sugar
vanilla or any flavor of your chioce.

it works great and it isn't to sweet.

icon_eek.gif 2 cups of crisco AND 1/2 cup of butter AND 4 oz of cream cheese? icon_eek.gif

Wow, that's a LOT of fat! icon_surprised.gif I only use 1-1/3 (give or take) of fat to 2 lbs of psugar. When I make cream cheese icing, I sub out some of the crisco for cream cheese. Crusts just like my regular icing.

BMartin Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 2:44am
post #14 of 14

I like the Crusting Creamcheese that Sugar Shack has on her Blog site.
1c. Butter
1/2c. Crisco (I use Sweetex)
6oz Creamcheese (I use 8oz)
3lbs. Powder Sugar
1T. Vanilla
1/2 tsp. Salt

Stiffer icing use 3 1/2 lbs. PS
Softer icing use 3 lbs. PS

I also like to put 4 or 5 drops of the cheesecake flavoring(Lorann oil)
By trial and error I have found the salt really helps so I always put it in.
I also double this and it fills my KA above the paddle (Like in Perfecting the art of Buttercream)
Then just ice like you would if you were using BC(Bench Scraper,Viva then computer paper).
JMHO
HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%