Whipped Cream

Decorating By mckaren Updated 3 Jun 2013 , 6:59pm by shanter

mckaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mckaren Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 11:23am
post #1 of 12

I find making buttercream a total pain - the kitchen looks as if a snow storm has passed through by the time I've finished. icon_redface.gif

I've been wondering about using whipping cream instead but has anyone else tried it before? I fancy having a go but I struggle to find the time for experimenting at the moment so I'm hoping I can ask for your experiences.icon_smile.gif

Does it work under fondant?
Does it work on it's own as a frosting?

11 replies
djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 11:42am
post #2 of 12

It works GREAT as it's own frosting...I use it the majority of the time. (Take a look at my pics - 90% of them are WC) I think it tastes better than BC, (personal thing...I just like less sweet!) and it's SOOO much easier to work with if it's whipped properly. (I did a BC wedding cake this weekend and almost pulled my hair out trying to smooth it!) Decorating with it: it is kind of hard to color it a darker, more saturated color, but I've done it...but I pipe with it w/no problems. (not roses, but borders, designs, etc.)
Also: It does NOT play nicely with fondant. WC needs to be in the fridge, and fondant gets condensation if it goes near it! So no-go on the fondant. I have piped borders on a WC cake with buttercream occasionally, (like if I need a RED) but beware it will bleed a little over time.
HTH!

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 11:43am
post #3 of 12

When you say whipped cream, you mean heavy cream, whipped with a whisk? Maybe some sugar and vanilla? If so, it is very unstable at the whipped stage and very prone to spoiling, even if stabilized. I don't think it would hold up for you at all. I think it would be a nightmare under fondant. In addition, it doesn't have the structure to work as a dam for most fillings or provide a smooth surface. It will mostly cause you grief.

However, if you intend to serve something right away, and can keep it chilled, and do not need that 'perfectly frosted look', by all means, go for it. My favorite dessert, including cake(shudder at the thought!) is strawberry shortcake w/ fresh whipped cream.

matthewkyrankelly Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 11:51am
post #4 of 12

djs - your cakes are beautiful! What recipe are you using? Is it stabilized? how long can you keep them out? I'd love to know...

Thanks

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 11:54am
post #5 of 12

Looking at your pics (v. nice, btw), whipped cream is not going to work for you. It's too delicate to go under fondant, even if the perishability wasn't an issue, which it is icon_biggrin.gif

Try putting a damp tea-towel over your mixer when you're doing BC, just at the beginning when the blizzard starts! It will help a lot.

Good luck!

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 12:02pm
post #6 of 12

I haven't used whipped cream as a frosting yet, but as a filling it's lovely. I add piping gel to it to make it stay stiffer longer. I whipped up some on Wednesday last, and still stiff & yummy in my fridge this morning!

djs328 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 12:32pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewkyrankelly

djs - your cakes are beautiful! What recipe are you using? Is it stabilized? how long can you keep them out? I'd love to know...

Thanks

You can keep cream out for up to 4 hours cumulatively...meaning if it's out of the fridge for 1/2 hour from the store to home, then 1 hour decorating, you have 2 1/2 hrs before it starts to get yucky...(I'm not an expert - just reiterating what I've been told here on CC...) hat being said....I fridge them until just before serving - and honestly, they don't last long sitting out b/c most of it gets eaten...(it's THAT good!) I personally don't leave it out more than an hour, especially if it's warmer than 75F out...And we've eaten the cake up to 3 days later leftover (if there is any! Can't tell you beyond that - never lasts that long in my house! )icon_wink.gif
With all due respect - I disagree with matthewkryankelly - it is quite workable and you CAN get a nice, smooth finish if it's done right...and I fill ALL my cakes (what's a cake without filling?? icon_wink.gif I fill with everything from creams to mousses to fresh fruits & preserves...NEVER had an issue. Strawberries are a favorite!!
And I've tried the stabilized WC w/gelatin in it...I just prefer it without...just PS & vanilla to taste. icon_smile.gif Sometimes I add almond or lemon or orange...any of the LorAnn work well...
Hope that helps! icon_smile.gif

matthewkyrankelly Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 1:30pm
post #8 of 12

djs - I'm sorry. The timing thing answered my question. I agree with you that whipped cream can work. However, I guess I was answering from the "wedding Cake" concept that it would take so much time for a cake like that to be out that whipped cream is out of the question. For a home cake or one where you can control the environment and timing - I love whipped cream. Having worked with both, you can't get the glass smooth finish on whipped cream that you can get on buttercream, but it can look beautiful. It is just one of the characteristics of whipped cream. Also, while still good, whipped cream will always start to degrade and loose liquid over time, over a day or two. Any one can try this by mixing up whipped cream and putting it in the fridge. The next day, make a new batch and compare them. Visually and taste wise they are different. You won't get that kind of change in a buttercream and you have more 'outside' time.

Both are good frostings, but we need to know the limitations. And I'm guessing, if I had your cake, it wouldn't be around long enough for the whipped cream to start to break down. icon_biggrin.gif

mckaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mckaren Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 6:31pm
post #9 of 12

Thank you so much for your replies, you've all brought up a lot of things that I hadn't even considered. I guess I'll be sticking with the bc for now.

djs328 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 6:43pm
post #10 of 12

Another thing to consider...I haven't tried it but people on here swear by Bettercream. Don't know if you have something comparable in Europe, but it's a frozen product that you whip up like cream, but it is room temp stable...it is made by Rich's...I think there are some other brands as well: Frostin Pride? not totlaly sure on the name...but again - won't work with fondant.
One more thing: have you tried the Viva paper towel method to smooth your buttercream? If not, it might help you get that smooth finish you are looking for! icon_smile.gif

Good luck!

Jazmin13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jazmin13 Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 6:04pm
post #11 of 12

AIs there something that tates similar to whipped cream but can be used for wedding cakes? I really don't like how sweet buttercream can be and I want to stay away from it

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 6:59pm
post #12 of 12

I have used Frostin' Pride and my family loves it, says it tastes like vanilla ice cream. However, I do make other types of icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%