Mmf On Cupcakes

Baking By sulia Updated 29 Jun 2009 , 11:19pm by AlamoSweets

sulia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sulia Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 10:42am
post #1 of 5

hi all

i'm just a hobby cake decorator and have just started experimenting with decorating cupcakes. can someone please give me any tips on how to cover my cupcake with a disc of MMF. i used a large scone cutter to cut out the round shape and used an egg lifter to lift it off the counter and onto the cupcake but its still very untidy. you can see the results under my pictures (summer cupcakes)

thanks in advance
sulia

4 replies
saracupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saracupcake Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 11:03am
post #2 of 5

Hi Sulia

I just roll out a small amount of fondant at a time, usually enough to cover 2 cupcakes. After I roll it out I lift the fondant off the surface to make sure it isn't stuck, then I use the cutter. When the fondant isn't stuck to the surface it usually lifts of with the cutter so I give it a gentle shake so it falls out the cutter and place it on the cupcake and gently rub the sides of the fondant to get rid of ragged edges and get a nice smooth edge. Somtimes if the fondant is sticking to the cutter then I dust it with a little bit of icing sugar. I made these at the weekend

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1404279

HTH

Sara

Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 11:15am
post #3 of 5

Hello icon_smile.gif

I think that if you roll your mmf a little thinner and use a smaller cutter, you may have a little more success. Your design is beautiful thumbs_up.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 1:48pm
post #4 of 5

I use a drinking glass to cut the circles, then pick them up with my fingers. Sometimes the edges are a little ragged, but you can smooth those under with your fingers. I use just a dab of frosting under the fondant.

AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 11:19pm
post #5 of 5

I put a layer of buttercream on the cupcake first before I use a round cookie cutter slightly smaller than the diameter of the cupcake to cut the MMF. If the buttercream has not crusted yet it helps adhere the MMF to the top. Hope this helps and good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%