Need Help With A Laptop Cake??? Argh!

Decorating By laborrn2 Updated 29 Jun 2009 , 10:09pm by Doug

laborrn2 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 2:38am
post #1 of 5

Has anyone out there ever made a laptop cake? I've checked dozens of pics here on CC and not many give any info on how to keep the laptop screen standing upright. Any thoughts??? It is a topper on a wide diameter cake, and I am free to use inedible components wrapped in fondant, if necessary. I'd appreciate any tips you may have!! Thanks! icon_wink.gif

4 replies
laborrn2 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 8:54pm
post #2 of 5

please.............anyone have ideas/?????

indydebi Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 9:33pm
post #3 of 5

Here's a CC'ers cake that I used to model my own laptop cake from: . (My photo isn't posted yet ... daughter went to Florida and I had to use a FILM camera, so it's not developed yet.)

The screen was cardboard covered in foil and construction paper. Bride emailed me the print screen she wanted put on there. I pushed the cardboard slightly into the bottom tier of the cake, then pushed about 3 dowels behind the cardboard, holding it up and in place.

Things to watch for: THe cardboard WILL want to lean back and push against the dowels, so the dowels need to be REALLY tight against the cardboard ... no excess space or slack. I discovered this when I set it up at the reception and had to pull the dowels out and re-position them closer.

It didn't take any time at all. I iced it in BC and used fondant for the keys. Starting with naked cakes from the freezer, and including the fondant cutting time, I had the whole thing down in just a couple of hours.

laborrn2 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 9:40pm
post #4 of 5

THANK YOU! I was trying to figure a way to make a "screen" out of something inedible and then wrap it in fondant, but I'm thinking that will be too heavy to stand up. Unless I use styrofoam as the base.....hmmm.....

The dowel rod idea is a good one, though....thanks so much "indydebi"!! icon_smile.gif

Doug Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 10:09pm
post #5 of 5

3/4" plywood base that is 2" longer front to back than the bottom of the "laptop" needs to be.

1/4" luan plywood back for screen.

1/4" wide groove cut in plywood base to accept 1/4" luan.

glue luan into groove, and if have access (which any well equipped wood shop should) tack with 1/2" long brads (pneumatic air gun).

cut the groove at a 30degree angle as measured on the backside of the screen --- this best done by using a table saw with the blade set at 30 degrees and the fence up close to the blade about 2" or so.

(although the image name says cell phone base, it's the exact same set up just different overall shape for laptop. The extra 2" extends past the back of where the luan slots into base to give extra stability)

Quote by @%username% on %date%