How To Dry Fndnt/gumpaste Bttrflies So Wings Are 3D Not Flat

Decorating By PuffCake Updated 29 Jun 2009 , 2:50am by CALI_GIRL_CAKES

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 2:13am
post #1 of 8

Which would be better for butterflies, fondant or gumpaste? or maybe 50/50? And how do I dry them so the wings stick up and stay in place? I've seen pics of cakes with butterflies on them that look like they are flying and just landed on the cake, but how do you do that? Thanks!

7 replies
krissycupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krissycupcakes Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 2:22am
post #2 of 8

i just finished a cake like this i did fondant but gumpaste would probably be better (harder) but fondant will dry hard enough. i used a cookie cutter then useing fondant tools to make patterns presed into the wings i dryed them in differnt poses i proped some up with foil others i lined the sides of a baking pan proped against the sides

kylekaitlyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kylekaitlyn Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 2:22am
post #3 of 8

I like gumpaste or 50/50 but that's just me. To get the wings to hold their shape, dry them in a flower former or simply allow the piece to dry with the wings propped up on something.

dinie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinie Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 2:23am
post #4 of 8

When I made butterflies with the wings up I put them in the flower former to dry and I used all gumpaste.

dinie

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 2:39am
post #5 of 8

take a piece of cardstock and fold it in 4's, like a fan. This will give you a v-shape to set the butterflies in that will hold up the wings while they dry. Did that make sense AT ALL? icon_smile.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 2:46am
post #6 of 8

I do them on the inside of a cake pan as Krissy said.

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 2:48am
post #7 of 8

Thanks everyone for your quick responses! Yes, wendyintx, that made perfect sense! One more question since I've never used gumpaste or 50/50 (fondant/gumpaste) before... How long do I need to allow for them to dry hard and do I wait until they are completely dry before I paint them? Thanks!

CALI_GIRL_CAKES Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CALI_GIRL_CAKES Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 2:50am
post #8 of 8

I just finished butterflies on my cupcakes. I cut them with a cookie cutter and put them in an 18 egg carton, opened and put them in the so they are supported by both the edge and the little cardboard piece that sticks up. I let dry two days with 50/50 and then painted. Be sure to make extra's since I broke two when I was painting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%