Demolition Derby Car Groom's Cake

Decorating By cakes4ck Updated 29 Jul 2010 , 4:29pm by mom2hallie

cakes4ck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes4ck Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 2:04am
post #1 of 5

My sister in law has asked me to do a demolition derby car for her son's (my nephew's) upcoming wedding. I agreed to do it, but not sure about what I should do. She isn't picky as I am doing it as a gift. Her only request is that it looks like his derby car.
For those of you who have never seen a derby, it is a bunch of old cars that they strip down and then paint and reinforce. They get out in a ring and go back and forth hitting each other. It is very loud and smoky, with the occasional fire or rollover.
Anyhow, I was thinking 3d, but not sure. A sheet cake is kind of boring for a groom's cake, IMO. This wedding isn't fancy and is being held outdoors with reception indoors. Any ideas or pics of some that you've completed.

4 replies
cakes4ck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes4ck Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 9:40pm
post #2 of 5

I guess no one has done this kind of cake as I looked in the gallery and online and can't find one. However, I did find a tutorial on cars which has really helped. I also found lots of cool car/racing cakes that might be able to work for this cake.
My husband is the derby guy so I am going to get his opinion on that first. But, I like the checkered flag and even the trophy added in somewhere as my nephew won the derby. Could then put some saying about winning the best in life or something....any other ideas?
I need to get this figured out so I can get supplies and get started on it this weekend as the wedding is 1 1/2 weeks away- July 11th
thanks

mom2hallie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2hallie Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 3:55pm
post #3 of 5

I know this was 3 years ago, but do you happen to have a picture of what you did for this cake? I have a request for one of these for a grooms cake in September, I'm new to cake decorating and don't have a clue where to start! But I'm like you, I don't care for the idea of a sheet cake for a grooms cake... If you have any helpful tips or pictures of what you did I would really appreciate it!! icon_smile.gif

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 4:11pm
post #4 of 5

The post was made last year and I checked her photos. Here is the link to her pic I am guessing she posted after making this thread!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1412838

mom2hallie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2hallie Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 4:29pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%