Which Fondant Tastes Best?

Decorating By QueenJessica Updated 30 Jun 2009 , 2:06am by leah_s

QueenJessica Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 1:27am
post #1 of 21

I am pretty much just starting with cake decorating, and have only used the wilton brand fondant. Of all the other store bought fondant, which tastes best? icon_smile.gif

20 replies
bobwonderbuns Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 1:33am
post #2 of 21

I like Satin Ice for straight store-bought stuff. For semi-homemade I make Jennifer Dontz's white chocolate fondant.

txnonnie Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 1:41am
post #3 of 21

I like the taste of Fondx...no need to add flavorings. The Satin Ice chocolate is good as well. Have not used Satin Ice white. I have made some MMF that taste like the Fondx.

helen3743 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 6:25am
post #4 of 21

Yumm if Fondx tastes similar to MMF i want to try that...

i personally think the white Satin Ice tastes like a cousin to playdough. My mind doesnt think it's bad, but for some reason i dont want to continue eating it.
The chocolate Satin Ice is okay though.

Sorry that's all i know for pre-made fondants =) Althoough it seems like everyone on CC hates Wilton's fondant.... *shrug

maudabom Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 3:11pm
post #5 of 21

Have you tried making your own? The MMF (marshmallow Fondant) it so much better than Wilton's, not even in the same league actually. AND it is so easy to make.. melt marshmallows, add sugar, knead, poof, fondant !
I can't really answer your question, but since your just starting out I thought maybe the homemade would be more practical.
I actually stayed away from fondant for YEARS because I hated the Wilton stuff so bad.

QueenJessica Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 11:28pm
post #6 of 21

my wilton instructor always said mmf was not good for figures, only covering a cake because it was too thin. Is this true, or was she just trying to boost wilton sales? icon_confused.gif

jennbrownrigg Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 11:34pm
post #7 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenJessica

my wilton instructor always said mmf was not good for figures, only covering a cake because it was too thin. Is this true, or was she just trying to boost wilton sales? icon_confused.gif

I have ONLY ever used MMF and have made several figures, characters, hats, etc...and LOVE it...although I don't like the mess of icing sugar everywhere when I make it I won't use anything else because of the simplicity in the recipe, the cost effectiveness and the fact that it tastes the best of all that I have tried.

Good Luck & Have Fun!

jennbrownrigg Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 11:35pm
post #8 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenJessica

I have ONLY ever used MMF and have made several figures, characters, hats, etc...and LOVE it...although I don't like the mess of icing sugar everywhere when I make it I won't use anything else because of the simplicity in the recipe, the cost effectiveness and the fact that it tastes the best of all that I have tried.

Good Luck & Have Fun!

mxgirl Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 11:37pm
post #9 of 21

I've never heard of the MMF!!!!! It sounds good though! Does anyone know if there's a specific recipe on here to follow for that?! =) Thanks!!!!

mxgirl Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 11:38pm
post #10 of 21

I've never heard of the MMF!!!!! It sounds good though! Does anyone know if there's a specific recipe on here to follow for that?! =) Thanks!!!!

mxgirl Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 11:39pm
post #11 of 21

panchanewjersey Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 11:40pm
post #12 of 21

I usually make mmf and don't really care for it, but I just tried Fondx, this stuff is good, I would eat it if it's on top of my cake. They say mmf taste like Satin Ice. don't know how true that is.

panchanewjersey Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 11:41pm
post #13 of 21

I usually make mmf and don't really care for it, but I just tried Fondx, this stuff is good, I would eat it if it's on top of my cake. They say mmf taste like Satin Ice. don't know how true that is.

panchanewjersey Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 11:42pm
post #14 of 21

bobwonderbuns Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 11:49pm
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxgirl

There are several marshmallow fondant recipes here on CC -- do a search in the recipes section. Also Michele Foster has a very good fondant (I haven't made it myself but it's gotten rave reviews.) That's also in the recipes section. icon_biggrin.gif

Danielle1218 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 1:54am
post #16 of 21

Wilton fondant tastes like what I imagine dishwater to taste like. YUCK!!! For a company so into cake decorating you would think they would come up with something better than cakes covered in fondant that tastes like dishwater

leah_s Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 2:02am
post #17 of 21

I buy SatinIce. A lot of SatinIce.

leah_s Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 2:03am
post #18 of 21

leah_s Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 2:04am
post #19 of 21

leah_s Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 2:05am
post #20 of 21