Son Broke His Tooth

Lounge By susanmm23 Updated 30 Jun 2009 , 12:10am by sportsmom005

susanmm23 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 1:24am
post #1 of 5

so today while swimming my 6 year old jumped into the pool landing mouth first onto my 11year olds head......... breaking one of his few adult teeth he has......also busting his lip open. my 11 year old has a horrid headache but was lucky to not have a cracked head. im waiting to hear back from the dentist i called the emergency line.......any ideas on what i can do until i hear back????

4 replies
-Tubbs Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 2:08am
post #2 of 5

Oooh, poor guys. Just make sure he doesn't jump around or do anything where he could further disrupt the tooth. A tooth can be broken, but it's difficult to put one back in. My niece broke a tooth by fainting in the shower recently, and the dentist did an amazing (and amazingly quick) reconstruction job, so try not to worry too much.

Just make sure that tooth stays in his gum!

sportsmom005 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 2:01pm
post #3 of 5

My 9 year old busted out one of his adult teeth last summer. He was riding a razor scooter at the local skate park and fell. He knocked the tooth out, bit completely through his lip and fractured his jaw. Unfortunately for us, it was on a Friday night, and out dentist's emergency line just tells patients to go to the nearest emergency room, so the the tooth couldn't be saved. I think there's only a few hour window where they are able to successfully save the tooth. Once he gets a little older, they'll make a fake one he can take in and out, like a retainer with a tooth attached. They can't do a permanent implant until his jaw is done growing, and that doesn't happen til his early twenties. Needless to say, I now have the dentist's personal cell phone number, in case anything like this ever happens again!

susanmm23 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 10:52pm
post #4 of 5

thanks for all the responses...... so we went to the dentist early this morning. dentist sent us to an orthodontist to get a second opinion on what would be best to do. our options were pull the tooth (what was left of it) and use braces to close the gap. which would leave his bottom teeth out of line instead of four front bottom teeth her would have 3. the other option was a root canal on the tooth to apply the dental implant. those were the options the dentist gave us. When we got to the orthodontist he looks at his mouth ask me when he lost his baby tooth (its been less than a year) and then says oh well i wouldnt do anything to this tooth right now. that its not fully erupted and will get bigger. not a full sized tooth but something the dentist can work with to put an enamel crown on, because as of now there is not enough tooth left. So for now my baby is gaped tooth busted lip and sore.....but in the long run he will have a wonderful smile, and not be in pain which is what i really care about.

sportsmom005 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 12:10am
post #5 of 5

Glad to hear he's doing ok thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%