Lorann Oils??

Decorating By cupcakeco Updated 30 May 2013 , 8:34pm by PTDixieGal

cupcakeco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeco Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 1:13am
post #1 of 32

I've heard so many good things about the LorAnn oils on this site, but never used them as I was under the impression that they could only be bought online. But when I was at WalMart tonight I came across a whole endcap display of them, two-packs for $2, and so I bought two, butterscotch and raspberry.

What could they be used for? Should they be used for? I only really bought them because I've heard only good things about them, and figured that I couldn't go wrong for $4.

31 replies
QueenJessica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenJessica Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 1:31am
post #2 of 32

I have used the raspberry before in making buttercream. Just know they take about 1/4 the amount as extracts. Also know, the raspberry (which I didn't care for) turned my icing pink. icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 1:36am
post #3 of 32

I've used the raspberry before for buttercream and for MMF. It does turn it pink...but it tastes really good.

I've never tried the butterscotch, but I bet it would be nice in fondant.

cupcakeco Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 1:42am
post #4 of 32

Thanks for the replies. How is the taste? Also, they had flavors like cinnamon, pina colada, orange, strawberry, grape, peppermint, anise, butter rum......... what are the best ones?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 1:50am
post #5 of 32

Mmm...pina colada sounds good. I haven't seen that one at my walmart yet icon_biggrin.gif I use butter rum all the time. My husband says it smells like nailpolish but everyone seems to like the taste of it.

I've used the strawberry and it's very nice...I used a whole little bottle in a batch of Indydebi's buttercream and ended up with a pastel pink icing that smelled and tasted wonderful.

cupcakeco Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 2:04am
post #6 of 32

hmm...good to know. think i might go stock up thumbs_up.gif

weefoot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weefoot Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 2:19am
post #7 of 32

I think the orange is the best. I love it. Makes the best orange buttercream for orange cake.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 2:22am
post #8 of 32

I recently used the watermelon and would not use it again in the cake, but in the frosting its ok

shyann_rayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shyann_rayne Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 5:10am
post #9 of 32

I used the pina colada in the icing of a Hawaiian theme babyshower cake. Everyone loved it. I have used orange, lemon, butter rum, cherry, cheesecake, and peppermint flavors all were great. I also have a fruit punch one I am going to try next. Love playing with all the flavors!

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 5:21am
post #10 of 32

I have the champagne, cotton candy, strawberry, raspberry, rootbeer, and chocolate. I have tried everything, but the rootbeer so far. I have had great compliments on them all. Some, I found at Walmart, some at Hobby Lobby and some at a cake store in Topeka, Kansas. I have really gone through alot of the champagne and the cotton candy!!!! People seem to like those the most!

madgeowens Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 5:39am
post #11 of 32

Did you use it in the cake batter? I had poor results that way/it was bitter

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 5:43am
post #12 of 32

cupcakeco, I would love to try some of these. When you say you found them on an endcap, were they near the cake aisle or where. Could I find them easily if I go to look for them? icon_confused.gif

shyann_rayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shyann_rayne Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 6:04am
post #13 of 32

I have used the peppermint flavor in batter and it tasted fine to me, the rest I have tried has been in icing.

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 6:06am
post #14 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobean

cupcakeco, I would love to try some of these. When you say you found them on an endcap, were they near the cake aisle or where. Could I find them easily if I go to look for them? icon_confused.gif

ditto I never knew walmart carried these, would also love to know what section are they near by

cupcakeco Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 3:53pm
post #15 of 32

Hey guys, thanks so much for all of your responses.

I wasn't planning on adding them into anything specific-- because I wasn't exactly sure how to use them! icon_redface.gif But it sounds as though they're better off in frosting (would I be wrong to assume about a bottle to each batch of icing?) so that's how I'll probably use them.

And for the people who asked, I found them in a WalMart Supercenter, on the side of the endcap in a small display in the craft department. The placement was strange as it wasn't exactly in the cake aisle but a few over. They are (or were for me) easily visible if you know what you are looking for.

I just moved and where I came from there was only regular WalMarts and I never found the oils in the regular WalMarts-- so not sure if it's only a WalMart Supercenter thing.

I'll attach a picture of the package so that you all know what to look for. Again I've never bought it before so I wouldn't know what they look like regularly. Thanks for your help everyone!
LL

cupcakeco Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 3:59pm
post #16 of 32

And OMG champagne!! They didn't have that one-- darn!

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 4:02pm
post #17 of 32

MacsMom uses them a lot. Check out the Gourmet recipe thread when you have time to read 210 pages (as of this minute) http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-614554-gourmet.html+flavor+flavour. There is also a google page with all the recipes, but MacsMom talks a lot about different LorAnn flavors in the actual thread. Here's the google page. It is great when you know what you are looking for ... http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-614554-gourmet.html+flavor+flavour

I've used LorAnn raspberry and butter rum for a long time, but I like the larger size bottles so I order direct. 1/2-1 t in my white chocolate butter cake ... YUM!! The pink from the raspberry doesn't show up in my cake, but it definitely turned MMF a very pale shade of pink. It was good though!

mgwebb68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgwebb68 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 4:07pm
post #18 of 32

I get them at Hobby Lobby. I've used the Strawberry to flavor White chocolate, which I colored pink and used to dip Ice Cream Cone shaped cookies in. It was the favorite and you could really smell the stawberry in it. I think I used about 1/4 of a tsp in about 1 cup of melted chocolate.

I need to try champagne and cotton candy, those sound yummy.

vrmcc1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vrmcc1 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 4:08pm
post #19 of 32

Here in pa I have the best luck finding them in the Pharmacy or at the grocery story Pharmacy departmant, especially around christmas time. I have no idea why but they always have a display

pinkflower1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkflower1212 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 4:13pm
post #20 of 32

I've used the watermelon recently for a batch of NFSC (can find in the recipe section) decorated watermelon shaped cookies. They were wonderful - smelled & tasted like Jolly Rancher watermelon, and then the sugar cookie came thru. The kids really liked them.

I've also used the rasperry for cookies, and buttercream icing. Orange in Macsmom's Orange Dreamicile cake - Yummy! I have used grape, pina colada and cherry.

I look like a fool when they are super cheap on sale - I buy tons of them. You can also find them at Michael's & Hobby Lobby (have a larger assortment than Wal-Mart / Michael's). I haven't purchased online yet, but the choices available there are way more than an local store here in OK.

tallgood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tallgood Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 4:16pm
post #21 of 32

I tried the marshmallow flavor and it was to die for, especially on the Orange Creamsicle cake. DH likes it on all flavors of cake, course he eats marshmallows for a snack!

Just bought 6 other flavors Friday to try(now have 18 flavors). I'll slip them to hubby and see if he notices! icon_evil.gif

madgeowens Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 12:02am
post #22 of 32

wow thats alot..I used a half teaspoon-teaspoon aprox...and that was plenty for me

madgeowens Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 12:06am
post #23 of 32

I used the watermelon in butter cream and it was good, used it in the cake mix with choco chips and had to throw it out, it was disgustin and bitter pluah...waqtermelon will tint white frostin a bit pink as well...I would only ever use it in rosting and just a wee amt.

madgeowens Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 12:07am
post #24 of 32

I used the watermelon in butter cream and it was good, used it in the cake mix with choco chips and had to throw it out, it was disgustin and bitter pluah...waqtermelon will tint white frostin a bit pink as well...I would only ever use it in rosting and just a wee amt.

madgeowens Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 12:08am
post #25 of 32

srodts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srodts Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 12:25am
post #26 of 32

I use then in Buttercream, MMF, and in royal icing. with the royal icing you need to make sure they are not an oil base. BTW butter rum in royal icing is to die for.

srodts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srodts Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 12:26am
post #27 of 32

I use then in Buttercream, MMF, and in royal icing. with the royal icing you need to make sure they are not an oil base. BTW butter rum in royal icing is to die for.

CarrieBear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarrieBear Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 12:38am
post #28 of 32

use them mostly for flavoring frosting, I use wasc recipes and make many flavored cakes but dont have much luck getting them to give a very strong taste in the cake itself so i use other things in the cake to give the cake strong flavors and use the oils to give the frosting a good flavor

CarrieBear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarrieBear Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 12:39am
post #29 of 32

use them mostly for flavoring frosting, I use wasc recipes and make many flavored cakes but dont have much luck getting them to give a very strong taste in the cake itself so i use other things in the cake to give the cake strong flavors and use the oils to give the frosting a good flavor

madgeowens Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 12:51am
post #30 of 32

yup me too

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%