Icing Is In The Ziplock Bag.

Decorating By MissCathcart Updated 29 Jun 2009 , 6:36pm by dberck

MissCathcart Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 12:46am
post #1 of 6

I recently started putting my freshly made icing directly into a ziplock bag, instead of a bowl. I can refrigerate it in much less space, and I free up a bowl. If I'm going to use it right away I can fill a pastry bag so easily by making a fairly large cut in the bag corner, and squeeze out what I want. Maybe it's because I make more of mess with bowls and spatulas that I like this method.

Couldn't find the subject by searching. I bet I'm the last to know. Does anyone else do this?

5 replies
3SheetCakes Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 12:54am
post #2 of 6

I don't do this, but it sounds like a great idea. I think I'll have to try it out!

indydebi Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 1:05am
post #3 of 6

Oh he11 yes! Ziploks are my very best friends!

On the catering side, they are great for transporting all of the cut veggies for veggie trays. I put my cheeseball in them, then cut the corner to squeeze it out into a bowl (pssst! My cheese "Balls" are not shaped into balls. I HATE that!).

My sample cakes are stored in ziploks. When I have 3-4 colors of icing colors left in the decorating bags, I just throw the decorating bags in a ziplok and they are ready to use when I need just a couple of green leaves or something.

I buy the gallon size by the box of 100 and I go thru them pretty quick. I dont' see how you run a kitchen without a huge box of gallon size ziplok bags!

icer101 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 1:14am
post #4 of 6

i don,t store my icing in them, but after decorating..i put my icing bags in a freezer bag and store it that way. and then it is ready to use again. i have done this for 13 years. i do like storing mine in bowls with covers. i have several freezers in my basement.

Justbeck101 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 1:25am
post #5 of 6

I do this also, I make much less mess this way.

dberck Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 6:36pm
post #6 of 6

I don't but what a great idea! I will with the next cake! Thanks for sharing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%