Anyone Watching Ice Age Challenge Right Now?

Decorating By kakeladi Updated 30 Jun 2009 , 11:00pm by bakery_chick

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 4:02pm
post #31 of 41

The hair and tattoos wouldn't bug me, I'm a bit of a strange duck myself. I'd rather not see Styrofoam in my cake though.

lamariposa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lamariposa Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 4:05pm
post #32 of 41

My husband and I were really pulling for Vinny. I think it was funny that Kerry mentioned that they did best when he was leading. If they had not had trouble with the airbrush and lost so much time, the outcome may have been different. I really don't think their appearance reflect their personas. They seem a lot more down to earth than the tattoos and pink hair!

chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 5:02pm
post #33 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

........--Michelle Garcia and her husband seem like nice people, but when you are in the food business you really need to take into account how your appearance might influence the customer. I would never buy anything from their store because Michelle's hair and tatoos kind of gross me out. ........
........The pink haired woman drives me nuts everytime............

I sooooooo agree w/this!

on the other hand, the customer should be there for your cakes not your appearance. i would buy from them in a heartbeat! they are awesome beacuse they are different. icon_cool.gif

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 5:29pm
post #34 of 41
Quote:
Quote:

--Michelle Garcia and her husband seem like nice people, but when you are in the food business you really need to take into account how your appearance might influence the customer. I would never buy anything from their store because Michelle's hair and tatoos kind of gross me out.

That's actually what I love about them. They are very true to themselves. And remember, not everyone has the same target audience. I could NEVER see myself going to some upscale, uptight bakery. I'm more comfortable with people that don't take themselves too seriously or think they have to act a certain way just to be professional. Just my thoughts on that.....

As far as the competition - it was had to say. They all did an awesome job. When the last girl had problems with the height structure, I thought - hmm, if you had filled the cake w/BC you wouldn't have this problem. lol! Overall, though - I really liked this challenge - SO much more than last week's!

Michele25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michele25 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 5:50pm
post #35 of 41

Oh I totally agree that I would much rather deal with someone who is down to earth and didn't take himself too seriously, as opposed to an uptight bakery or decorator. But, at least she could wear a hat or put her dredlocks in a pony tail or something so her hair wasn't hanging down in all of her work. I'm sorry, but that just grosses me out. I love Laurie from Amazing Wedding cakes and would deal with her in a second--the tatoos don't bother me a bit because she looks "clean", at least, and the pride she takes in her work and her professionalism just shine through. As an aside, did you notice this season on Amazing Wedding cakes that almost all of the decorators are wearing hats or scarves to cover their hair? I wonder if some of the viewers complained?

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 8:12pm
post #36 of 41

Now wouldn't you think if you were going to be in a challenge with $10,000 on the line you would make sure you had more then enough of everything including a couple of extra air brushes? We've seen people have problems with them in the past and they never have a spare. I also thought if the gal had put BC between her layers she wouldn't have had the height problem or needed the styrofoam. I couldn't believe she didn't make extra tusk. I always make extra everything because I just know something is going to break.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 9:10pm
post #37 of 41

IDK - I thought about that too - the frosting and airbrush definitely, but realistically you can't bring doubles of EVERYTHING! Plus who knows what the rules are.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 9:23pm
post #38 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccr03

That's actually what I love about them. They are very true to themselves. And remember, not everyone has the same target audience. I could NEVER see myself going to some upscale, uptight bakery. I'm more comfortable with people that don't take themselves too seriously or think they have to act a certain way just to be professional. Just my thoughts on that.....

icon_biggrin.gif How refreshing to see a comment like that in this place, as of late! icon_biggrin.gif

bakery_chick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakery_chick Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 10:58pm
post #39 of 41

tapedshut.gif

bakery_chick Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 10:59pm
post #40 of 41

I was sooo excited about Richard and Kristin (his assistant) winning this competition. I thought their cake was fantastic. I went to culinary school with Kristin, and she was absolutely fabulous then. I love that Richard specifically stated that he thought she was wonderful and that he set aside an hour and a half for her to sculpt Scrat, and she finished so quickly that she was able to make a Scratte. Go Kristin--You Rock!!!! I can't wait until she takes the lead!!

bakery_chick Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 11:00pm
post #41 of 41

I was sooo excited about Richard and Kristin (his assistant) winning this competition. I thought their cake was fantastic. I went to culinary school with Kristin, and she was absolutely fabulous then. I love that Richard specifically stated that he thought she was wonderful and that he set aside an hour and a half for her to sculpt Scrat, and she finished so quickly that she was able to make a Scratte. Go Kristin--You Rock!!!! I can't wait until she takes the lead!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%