Ok Q About Cream Cheese Frosting And Others

Decorating By swritik Updated 29 Jun 2009 , 3:07am by matthewkyrankelly

swritik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swritik Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 11:39pm
post #1 of 5

ok i was wondering if cream cheese frosting are made from cream cheese doesnt it spoil fast, meaning the cake can't be outside for a long time?

So if that is the case, then why do i see a lot of bakers use this frosting that have stuff that can spoil? or maybe they use something else that does not spoil.

thanx
Rita

4 replies
matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 11:54pm
post #2 of 5

OK. Here's the deal. What my understanding was that in high sugar content foods, that it was the moisture content that made them spoil at room temp. Sugar can be both a preservative and a food source for contamination, depending on the circumstances. i.e. water content.

Now, I know there is some hesitancy to do this, but some places have done testing on this very subject with real scientists who know what they are doing.

I've read it. It made a lot of sense. And, no, I can't find it anymore. I'm still looking. From what I recall, my cream cheese recipe is no different from any buttercream as far as safety.

Does anyone have any input?

swritik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swritik Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 12:54am
post #3 of 5

what does your cream cheese recipe include, do you mind sharing it? How long can it be out, as long as buttercream?

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 12:59am
post #4 of 5

I was making a carrot cake w/cream cheese frosting last month for a friend. She was having an all-day open house, so I wanted to know how long the cake could sit out.

I e-mailed Kraft Foods, and they said 3 hours. HTH.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 3:07am
post #5 of 5

Like I said, I'm still looking for info, so don't quote me. The recipe, however, is well received. 8 oz. cream cheese, 8 oz. butter, 2 lbs. confectioner's and flavoring. I use 2-3 tsp. vanilla and 1/8 of almond for birthday cakes.. This makes a lot of frosting. enough for any traditional layer cake. I can fill and crumb an 11x 15 layer cake. Need more for frost and decorate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%