I Need Help For My Son's Birthday Cake

Decorating By ButterCream9 Updated 1 Jul 2009 , 10:54pm by ButterCream9

ButterCream9 Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 10:55pm
post #1 of 13

My son's 2-year-old birthday is coming in a week. I suppose to have two small parties: one for his friends and their parents then one for our family ad relatives the day after and 40 miles away from home. Since last year birthday cake with fondant was not good, I decide to make the cake this year. However, I am a newbie and don't know much about cakes and decorations. Please help me with something easy and yummy and /or small (for the little fingers). Perhaps petit fours (I actually don't know what petit fours are but they sounds small and attractive) and something else that can make a day or two before. Thanks so much in advance.

12 replies
gatorcakes Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 1:13am
post #2 of 13

Hi, I'm a newbie too. What does your son like? Maybe cupcakes would work for you. Sorry not to be much help. Just wanted to offer some encouragement. icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 1:19am
post #3 of 13

I would go with cupcakes rather than petit fours...petit fours are a lot more work than just making one big cake or some cupcakes. Here's a picture of petit fours so you can see what they are icon_biggrin.gif It's kind of an upscale Little Debbie cake.
LL

AXOCutie143 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 1:23am
post #4 of 13

What about a mini-cake, and then a bunch of matching cupcakes? Check the galleries, you're BOUND to be inspired.

Lisaa1996 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 1:27am
post #5 of 13

I always make cupcakes for my daughter's birthday..she is going to be 7 next week...because she has a summer birthday and the kids are so busy running around outside that they don't want to sit down to a slice of cake. It is much easier to grab one and go icon_smile.gif ! My son turned two last year and I made him Spiderman cupcakes...very easy, just frosted white, smoothed them, and then piped black webs on them. Then I bought Spiderman rings and stuck one in the middle of each one. He still carries one around with him sometimes and it's been 7 months icon_smile.gif !

Rylan Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 1:33am
post #6 of 13

The petit fours Texas_rose posted are cute. That was a great idea.

Texas_Rose Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 1:35am
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RylanTy

The petit fours Texas_rose posted are cute. That was a great idea.

They're a pain in the butt to make though icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I think cupcakes with a nice big swirl on top would be better...maybe an assortment of regular and mini cupcakes.

pamela82 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 7:54am
post #8 of 13

Hello,

My son is having a pirate party and is planning on taking cup cakes to kindy for all the kids and his birthday party with family.

I am making one 20 x 20 cm round cake and then doing a lot of matching cup cakes. I will be making these all on the thursday and will be used on saturday.

The photo i have posted is what he wants. My mum said why dont i use the round cake at both events but only use the cup cakes and then on his birthday eat the round cake. She said almost like a decoration.

Love the cupcake ideas then you can make them as small or as big as you want.
LL

ButterCream9 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 10:51pm
post #9 of 13

My son kind of like car, train, airplane and all kinds of vehicles stuffs but I don't know how to make one of those icon_cry.gif texas_rose petit fours are so yummy. I wish I can make some of those icon_biggrin.gif I will take a look of the Galleries. Thanks all icon_smile.gif

ButterCream9 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 10:52pm
post #10 of 13

My son kind of like car, train, airplane and all kinds of vehicles stuffs but I don't know how to make one of those icon_cry.gif texas_rose petit fours are so yummy. I wish I can make some of those icon_biggrin.gif I will take a look of the Galleries. Thanks all icon_smile.gif

ButterCream9 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 10:52pm
post #11 of 13

ButterCream9 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 10:53pm
post #12 of 13

ButterCream9 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 10:54pm
post #13 of 13

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%