Bubbles Under Fondant....

Decorating By tlreetz Updated 29 Jun 2009 , 3:33am by sweetsbyjen

tlreetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tlreetz Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 10:35pm
post #1 of 6

This is something that I have battled with for some time now. I put the fondant on, the cake is great, I finish decorating it and hours later.....a huge bubble shows up under the fondant....what causes this and how do you prevent it?

Thanks!

5 replies
swritik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swritik Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 11:14pm
post #2 of 6

yes i would like to know too. The same thing happened to me with the last cake i made.

What fondant do you use?

Rita

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 1:02am
post #3 of 6

need to know about your process. what kind of cake, what icing under there and how much. cake cold or room temp; what using for glue....etc...

than I will try to help you figure it out!

swritik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swritik Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 1:20am
post #4 of 6

ok, it was yellow cake, with satin ice fondant, the cake was room temperature and then i put it into refrigerator over night, i covered the cake with pure buttercream thin layer like i always do.

RitA

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 3:18am
post #5 of 6

here are my thoughts:

1)It could have been a condensation issue under the icing because of the refrigeration. (but lots of people fridge fondant cakes with no problems.)

2) if it was a crusting BC and it was really crusty when you put the fondant on, it might not have stuck well.

3) if the cake sides were "wet" when you iced it, could have been that

4) did u have a filling and could it have seeped out? if you used one, was there a dam in place?

My guess is number one. While I know there are tons of wonderful people on here who fridge cakes with no problems, for life of me.... cake and fridge is always a disaster for me. Maybe i have a wet fridge, maybe it is where I live... not sure

but i avoid perishable ingredients so I do not have to use fridge. ever.

hope you figure it out!

sweetsbyjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsbyjen Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 3:33am
post #6 of 6

I had this problem and read that if you freeze your torted and crumbcoated cake before applying fondant and then putting the cake in the freezer after covering it, the two will become the same temperture and work together instead of fighting (causing bubbles or gas in the cake). It worked for me this past week. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%