Full Time Job And A Cake Business? Can It Be Done?

Business By tcdup Updated 9 Jul 2009 , 6:24pm by ruthi

tcdup Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 9:13pm
post #1 of 19

Do any of you out there have a full time job ( non cake related) and still have a cake business? I don't mean out of your house, but a separate building in your yard with your cake business in there. Has anyone been able to make both work?

18 replies
PinkLisa Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 9:20pm
post #2 of 19

Interesting.... Do you have children?

froglover Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 9:25pm
post #3 of 19

icon_biggrin.gif Yes, I have a full time 12 hour a day NREMT-I job working on the ambulance. I also have a WMI teaching job at Michaels. AND last October we opened a cake shop along with being newly married a little over a month ago. My partners also have full time jobs. One is a computer aided designer and the other one is a chemical engineer for a papermill they are married to each other. So it can be done. It isn't easy, some nights we are a the shop really late and then again really early the next morning but we are holding our own. So far we haven't had to take out a loan from any bank. YEAH!!!! thumbs_up.gif I say if you have the means then go for it.
www.EdibleEleganceTex.com

Homemade-Goodies Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 9:29pm
post #4 of 19

I work fulltime and am trying to build a cake business - though for now out of my own home - it can be some very long nights every once in a while, but if I stick to my scheduling, it works pretty well.

DeeDelightful Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 9:42pm
post #5 of 19

I work full time at an insurance company and bake cakes from home.there are some long nights.

mommy1st Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 9:50pm
post #6 of 19

I work 37 hrs a week at a grocery store (decorating cakes). I am also doing cakes at home with the hopes of opening my own shop. The cakes I do at home are all word of mouth and usually consist of things we don't do at the store. I try to avoid any conflict of intereast. At least when I open my own shop, I will be used to working 7 days a week already.

tcdup Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 10:53pm
post #7 of 19

Thanks, I am a bank teller. I work 40 hours or more a week and do a few cakes from home. I am in a state where I can't legaly do this from home I need a separate building. I would love to get one but I love my job and didn't know if it would be possible to do both. I think I might look into it some more. Thanks for the input. icon_biggrin.gif

Mac Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 10:56pm
post #8 of 19

Yes, I work as a home health physical therapist assistant and run about 30-40 visits per week. With drive time, that figures about 40 hours + a week.
I also rent a commercial in the evening for my licensed cake business. We start on Tuesday making cake related items and buckets of frosting. Wednesday, we start baking. Fridays and Saturday are marathon decorating days--depending on when it goes out.

By Saturday night, my hubby and I go out for dinner then I come home, do a little housework and crash on the couch by 11:30.

Oh and I will start teaching cake classes at a College here one night a week for 3 hours.

Crazy-nuts, I am!!!

Destinys_Delights Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 3:36am
post #9 of 19

I work a full time job and a wife/mother, Also I have the cake business out of my house, one day I do want my own store front bakery, but I try to make sure I keep a schedule so I don't get taken over by cakes. I get a hour lunch break at work so I can leave and I try to take care of my cake business phone calls and paperwork during that time. Some how it gets done. icon_biggrin.gif

kandu001 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 3:37am
post #10 of 19

I work full time and don't have a cake business yet, but I have been thinking about it. I feel as though I do enough free cakes that would equal the amount that I would like to do while getting paid for it. Enough free cakes!!!!

CakeForte Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 2:14pm
post #11 of 19

FT job here too at 55 hours/ week. I only do weddings, and usually start on Wed or Thu afternoons. I do have family that helps though, so that makes it easier. I rent a commercial kitchen so I'm an "official" biz.

suzylynn58 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 11:44pm
post #12 of 19

I have a full time job as an xray tech, as well as one night a week on call. I am currently doing cakes out of my home, but am in the process of remodeling a building in town for my commercial kitchen for cakes and catering. For the next year or two, i plan to stick to doing orders for mostly weekends, like I do now. Then when I "retire" from my hospital job in a few years, I'll have built up my business.

But I'm like you, I wonder how difficult it will be to juggle it all.

Susan

suzylynn58 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 11:45pm
post #13 of 19

I have a full time job as an xray tech, as well as one night a week on call. I am currently doing cakes out of my home, but am in the process of remodeling a building in town for my commercial kitchen for cakes and catering. For the next year or two, i plan to stick to doing orders for mostly weekends, like I do now. Then when I "retire" from my hospital job in a few years, I'll have built up my business.

Susan

suzylynn58 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 11:46pm
post #14 of 19

Susan

cakesweetiecake Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 10:34pm
post #15 of 19

Taking notes!

cakesweetiecake Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 10:35pm
post #16 of 19

Taking notes!

cakesdivine Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 2:53am
post #17 of 19

I work a full time day job m-f. At night I run and teach at my dance studio, am working on getting an incubator kitchen going, and also getting my and my hubby's dance competition going, and of course own my cake business.

Mac Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 3:23am
post #18 of 19

Cakesdivine--
I do believe you waste a few hours a night sleeping icon_lol.gif My goodness! I thought I was bad.

ruthi Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 6:24pm
post #19 of 19

I work full-time, have a house full of kids - although they are getting bigger and the youngest is already five...and I do cookies and cakes at night and on the weekend....I want to expand and have a full-fledged business, but don't know how to juggle all of the above and stay sane - and functional... some nights if I am doing an order for a friend can mean staying up till 3 or 4 in the morning, which is a killer when I have to get up and go to work at a desk job for eight hours - Wow it is hard to stay awake! Unfortunately, financially, I can't see myself quiting my day job for several years yet.....but it is a dream....plus I need to know what and how I would set up a home-based full-fledged business?????

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%