My Own Birthday Cake...ideas?

Decorating By emrldsky Updated 29 Jun 2009 , 1:00pm by CookieD-oh

emrldsky Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 8:25pm
post #1 of 9

So I've decided to do my own birthday cake this year.

I'm a hobby baker/decorator, so it's been a while since I've done a cake and I'm feeling the itch. What better way to scratch it than to make my own cake???

But now my creative side is going, "You want me to do what?"

My favorite color is purple and I'm drawn to more simple designs that are elegant or cute. I like working with fondant, because I can get a more refined finished result.

And when asking people to describe me in one word, the typical response is "cute."

Yet, my idea well is dry. Help please?

8 replies
Rylan Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 8:32pm
post #2 of 9

If I were to make my own birthday cake, I'd want it to look like a wedding cake.

If I were to make your birthday cake, I'd make it look like a wedding cake as well.

You only get married once. There gotta be another reason for having wedding cake and divorce isn't one.

Wendl Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 8:35pm
post #3 of 9

Whatever makes you happy! I just did mine for the first time - posted it. It looks like Marie Laveau's tomb in St. Louis Cemetery #1. icon_smile.gif

emrldsky Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 8:38pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by RylanTy

If I were to make my own birthday cake, I'd want it to look like a wedding cake.

If I were to make your birthday cake, I'd make it look like a wedding cake as well.

You only get married once. There gotta be another reason for having wedding cake and divorce isn't one.

You make an excellent point. I AM dreaming of stacked tiers. I would LOVE to try a topsy turvy, but I won't have the time to get that into it (we'll have just finished moving into our house).

emrldsky Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 12:25pm
post #5 of 9

I think I might have it. Two tiers, stacked. The bottom an 8" round with the top a 6" round (too much cake for our needs, but whatev).

I want to do a HUGE gum paste rose, ala franjmc (http://www.flickr.com/photos/franjmc/2927935625/), in lilac as a topper.

I was thinking that the bottom tier would be covered in white fondant with a quilted diamond pattern (simple) and lilac fondant pearls at the intersections (elegant).

Not sure what to do about the top tier. I COULD do the top like above, and do the bottom covered in lilac, but not sure what to do other than that.

Melnick Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 12:36pm
post #6 of 9

Or you could cover that top tier in lilac and just put a simple white fondant ribbon and bow around the middle of the tier?

emrldsky Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 12:37pm
post #7 of 9

Oh that would be pretty! icon_biggrin.gif Sooo many ideas going through my head. I might have to sketch something later today.

matthewkyrankelly Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 12:51pm
post #8 of 9

Your own birthday cake! Have fun! Make more tiers than you think. Why do two when you can do five? Also, there are some neat things you could do with a dummy layer. Maybe add some battery operated lights, like the miniature rice lights. A little dazzle never hurt anyone. Have some fun with lustre dust. A wedding cake where you can do anything.....

CookieD-oh Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 1:00pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewkyrankelly

Your own birthday cake! Have fun! Make more tiers than you think. Why do two when you can do five?...

After all, what better way to meet new neighbors than to take them cake? icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%