Plz Help... How Do I Add Color To Fondant Once It Has Set?

Decorating By besweet2lissy Updated 29 Jun 2009 , 2:21pm by DebBTX

besweet2lissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
besweet2lissy Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 7:21pm
post #1 of 8

This is my first attempt at making fondant and I forgot to add the color before the mixture was thickened. I have no idea what to do and my cake mentor is unavailable to help me with this disaster. Today is my anniversary and the cake is supposed to be ready for tonight... icon_cry.gif

7 replies
saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 7:27pm
post #2 of 8

If it's already on the cake, then airbrush or painting are your only options now as far as I believe. Otherwise knead in the color. Happy Anniversary!

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 7:34pm
post #3 of 8

When you said the fondant was set, did you mean it was thickened because it was completely made, and sitting wrapped on the counter? Or that it was set because it was already on the cake and dried in place?

Happy Anniversary,

Debbie B.

hails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hails Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 7:36pm
post #4 of 8

Can't you add color and knead it in, I know when I buy store bought fondant it is already thick and I add the paste coloring and knead it twist and pull. Make sure you use powdered sugar on your hands so it does not stick. I hope this helps, goods luck happy Anniversary

CakeTopper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeTopper Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 7:47pm
post #5 of 8

I agree with hails. I always knead in color paste whether I'm using mmf or store bought fondant. I've never had any issues.

Lady_Phoenix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady_Phoenix Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 7:48pm
post #6 of 8

Knead it in. I do it all the time. Takes a bit of work though!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 8:45pm
post #7 of 8

Kneed the color in, but use crisco on your hands. It will keep the color from soaking into your skin.

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 2:21pm
post #8 of 8

I thought I would check in to see how the cake came out.

-Debbie B.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%