Hubby Thinks I'm Crazy... Am I

Decorating By andiesweet Updated 28 Jun 2009 , 10:09pm by sugarcheryl

andiesweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andiesweet Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 5:59pm
post #1 of 10

I posted an ad on Craigslist "Wedding cakes $150" What i was thinking is to offer a 2 tier cake for 50 ppl in buttercream with 3 choices of design, simple stuff like dots, a ribbon around the bottom ( or middle ) of each tier, or fresh flowers. Choice of flavors choc, van., or 1/2 and 1/2, with a buttercream fill( no torte). It works out to $3 per serving. If they want anything other than that it's regular pricing... I start at $4pp for BC.
Hubby thinks i am nuts to undercut my own price, but I want to get some orders. I'd rather take a little less to get more work.

What do y'all think?

9 replies
Wing-Ding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wing-Ding Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 6:11pm
post #2 of 10

Why not! Although you should mention that there are certain stipulations or something to that effect. Otherwise it looks like you are advertising that all your wedding cakes are $150. Also, is this including delivery?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 6:19pm
post #3 of 10

Good for you. I think it's great to help out those who want a nice wedding cake but don't have a million bucks for it! If I were still selling cakes I think I'd do the same thing. As Wing mentioned as long as you put the stipulations in the ad so they know what is being offered I see nothing wrong with you offer.

andiesweet Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 6:20pm
post #4 of 10

No delivery, that's why I'm making a 2 tier easier for them to pick up. I fthey want delivery my reg charges apply for that $25. In the ad I'm putting contact me for details.

auntbeesbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntbeesbaking Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 6:21pm
post #5 of 10

I understand where you're coming from. What size cakes does that work out to be? Something to consider, are you making any money with your ingredients costs, electricity, gas (if delivery is free)? I would be firm about what they get for $150 and make sure if it's anything else, you do increase your price! I know sometimes I've needed money so badly that I that if I made $20 off something and had to even pull an all nighter to do it, at least it's $20 more than I had! Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 7:04pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by andiesweet

I posted an ad on Craigslist "Wedding cakes $150"

Be sure to state that you will not accept orders by email, and you will not respond to email orders so that you can avoid the scammers... they must call your number to place an order. They must pay their deposit (and sign contract, if you use one) before the order is considered complete. And, check your listing often because some people will actually duplicate your ad and change your phone number to a non-working phone number out of spite or jealousy or whatever.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 7:16pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by andiesweet

with a buttercream fill( no torte). It works out to $3 per serving.

How are you filling this without a torte?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

andiesweet Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 8:33pm
post #8 of 10

just between the 2 cake layers. i'm not torting each layer and filling them to give 3 layers of filling.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 8:33pm
post #9 of 10

Gotcha.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 10:09pm
post #10 of 10

I see nothing wrong. I think it's a good idea thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%