Martha's Recipes...is It Just Me...

Decorating By 4Gifts4Lisa Updated 2 Jul 2009 , 5:17am by cathyscakes

4Gifts4Lisa Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 4:33pm
post #1 of 21

Seriously, is it just me or do the recipes suck? That is pretty harsh, I guess. So far, every recipe I have tried from her books sucks...either too dry or no flavor, etc. I did have luck with one, but I ignored the instructions and added to it, so that doesn't really count, does it?

I guess I just need to finally get Rose's Cake Bible and be done with it. I think it may be the ONLY book I DON'T own...

20 replies
rvercher23 Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 4:38pm
post #2 of 21

You are not alone....I tried Marthas Red Velvet Cake.....It was horrible. I did everything right, I didnt add or anything. It was the nastiest cake I had ever tasted. That is the only recipe I have tried. Dont know about any of the other ones.

dahir Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 4:41pm
post #3 of 21

I have tried several of her cookies recipes. None of them were any good.

Tracy

Narie Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 5:00pm
post #4 of 21

I"ve only tried one cookie recipe. It was ok. The recipe worked, and the cookies were acceptable but not worth making again.

CbyA Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 5:09pm
post #5 of 21

What about her new "cupcake" book? it is worth it? Has any of you had tried any recipe?

4Gifts4Lisa Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 6:47pm
post #6 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by CbyA

What about her new "cupcake" book? it is worth it? Has any of you had tried any recipe?

This is what prompted the post icon_biggrin.gif I tried the brown sugar pound cake cupcakes. No flavor, and they were "light"...light is not bad for regular cupcakes, but I expected denser for a pound cake...

miss_sweetstory Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 7:49pm
post #7 of 21

I have subscribed to Martha Stewart Living from day 1. In all those years, I have had exactly ONE recipe work out (and be worth making again). It is a Chocolate Chip Cookie Tart from six or seven years ago. The others have all be mediocre; and a few have been spectacular failures. I still can't get over the Boston Cream Pie nightmare, and that had to have been fifteen years ago!

I finally learned my lesson. Now if something sounds good, I find another source for the actual recipe.

playingwithsugar Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 8:02pm
post #8 of 21

I've heard this before, and honestly, I do not use her cake recipes.

But in her defense, her pate brisee (pie crust) recipe is the best and easiest I've ever used, and I use that recipe exclusively for all my pies, sweet or savory.

I also recommend her Swiss Meringue Buttercream for cupcakes recipe to anyone who wants to learn how to make it. The instructions are extremely clear, so much that a 12-year-old can make it successfully. I suggest the cupcake recipe because the instructions are easier than the regular smbc recipe, even though the ingredients are the same. I'm not crazy about the taste of hers, as I find it too sweet.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

4Gifts4Lisa Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 8:33pm
post #9 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_sweetstory

I have subscribed to Martha Stewart Living from day 1. In all those years, I have had exactly ONE recipe work out (and be worth making again). It is a Chocolate Chip Cookie Tart from six or seven years ago. The others have all be mediocre; and a few have been spectacular failures. I still can't get over the Boston Cream Pie nightmare, and that had to have been fifteen years ago!

I finally learned my lesson. Now if something sounds good, I find another source for the actual recipe.

OMG!!! I have that recipe torn out, and I use it too!!!

iownajane Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 9:42pm
post #10 of 21

I've been subscribing off and on since 2004....I love the ideas...usually change the recipes..love the pictures......but I agree...a lot of the stuff doesn't taste "right"...cake or otherwise...

costumeczar Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 9:53pm
post #11 of 21

She has a reputation for having recipes that don't work very well. I remember that some magazine had a bunch of professional pastry chefs make a variety of recipes from different authors, and NONE of them could get her recipes to work.

She apparently doesn't have a very good recipe-testing staff. You think she'd have a test kitchen, but maybe she doesn't.

CbyA Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 10:36pm
post #12 of 21

Oh well! I saw the cupcakes book yesterday at Sam's for 13.72 and I got it and after few minutes I put it back! lol!! There is another post here on CC about the book but I can't find it. I did few cake recipes but like you said, there are not good, I also thought it was me! mmmm I don't think so to buy the book...

Price Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 10:50pm
post #13 of 21

I made the Red Velvet from her "Martha Stewart's Wedding Cakes" book and thought it turned out pretty good. I haven't tried any of the other recipes.

Pebbles1727 Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 4:14am
post #14 of 21

I have the cupcake book, and tried chocolate pb swirl cupcakes Sunday, and they were quite well received by a big crowd of people. My husband said that they were even better the second day. I also tried her strawberry shortcake cookies from last issue, and they were awesome, I could not stop eating them! But that's the extent of my experience with her recipes.

matthewkyrankelly Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 4:30am
post #15 of 21

There's a cookie called mom's cookie or mother's cookie. Crean cheese and butter with flour worked like a puff pastry. Cut and brushed with egg white and sprinkled with sugar. When it bakes, it puffs like a pastry, but retains it's cut shape. All of the sweetness is from the sprinkled on sugar. Delicate. Elegant and delicious. But that's my only experience.

I have had my eye on that salty caramel cake from a guest bakery on the show . Anyone try that one?

Texas_Rose Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 4:34am
post #16 of 21

Martha's meat recipes work pretty well but the cake ones seem way off. I always just thought that maybe people have different tastes in different parts of the country and that's why they didn't taste right to me.

dadawley Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 4:39am
post #17 of 21

I have subscribed to The Martha Stewart Magazine for years and out of all those years have only made one of her recipes multiple times. It is her blackberry bars, I live in a part of the country where we just can't seem to get rid of the blackberries growing in the yard, no kidding those things grow right up through cement so I figured if "Life gives you lemons make lemonade" so when I saw she had a recipe to use fresh blackberries I tried them and they are wonderful!

I have her new cookie book, got it when it came out, looked at the pics and just wasn't in awe so it still sits on the shelf....guess I should of looked at it more closely before I bought it! icon_lol.gif Guess I will stick to Martha's magazines for the cool Halloween decorations!

miss-tiff Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 4:49am
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadawley

I live in a part of the country where we just can't seem to get rid of the blackberries growing in the yard, no kidding those things grow right up through cement

I grew up in Southern Oregon, and we had blackberries all over the place, too. I moved to Utah and haven't bought a blackberry because I keep thinking, "You want me to pay how much for a weed?" icon_rolleyes.gif

But anyways, my MIL has Martha's "Comfort Food" book, so I borrowed it and tried a few recipes. They weren't as good as I'd hoped, but I just chalked it up to not being a Martha Stewart fan. I haven't tried any of her cakes, but I'm glad to know I can look elsewhere!

giraffe11 Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 4:52am
post #19 of 21

I have several of her books and rec'd gift subscriptions to MS living and Everyday Food. So, needless to say I have tried a gazillion of her recipes, sweet and savory. I can agree with you somewhat.....there are many recipes I have tried that were nothing spectacular and not something I would ever make again. ANd yes, occasionally there are some that are just plain bad.
However, when she gets it right......those recipes tend to become my no-fail-favorite-recipes-for-life-make-them-constantly-make-all-my-husband's-friends-jealous-cause their-wives-can't-cook-as well-as-I-can recipes! icon_smile.gif So, I guess I look at it like a treasure hunt.......digging through the sand for the real gems!

giraffe11 Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 4:54am
post #20 of 21

and yes, dadawley, she does have the coolest Halloween decorations, doesn't she? I love Halloween!!!!!

cathyscakes Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 5:17am
post #21 of 21

I watch Martha all of the time, and I have to say some of her recipes are so bland. Like a apple pie with 1/4 cup of sugar, and no cinnamon, no butter, what a bland pie. I think she has a more of a natural style, letting the fruit shine thru, but my family wouldn't appreciate.
Also,miss-tiff, I live on the coast in Oregon, and I know what you mean about blackberries. we have 6 acres of land and we have all the blackberries we could ever need. Can't imagine ever buying a plant, can't kill the stuff, I really enjoy them too, can't wait to make a blackberry pie.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%