"icing" Dam For Ganache Covered Cake - What Should

Decorating By mbt4955 Updated 28 Jun 2009 , 1:39pm by mbt4955

mbt4955 Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 12:57pm
post #1 of 5

I am doing a white chocolate cake with raspberry filling, white chocolate ganache, MMF. What should I use for the dam since I will be "crumb coating" with ganache? The only other time I tried this, I just used a very thin layer of filling and didn't dam. I kept the filling away from the edge of the cake, then used the ganache to fill in the gap.

I need to use more filling but certainly don't want it leaking out. It seems strange to me to use buttercream for the dam and no where else on the cake.

TIA.

4 replies
wendalynn11 Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 1:01pm
post #2 of 5

Sorry I don't have an answer but I have had the same question, thanks for asking it!

grama_j Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 1:11pm
post #3 of 5

When I am in doubt that the filling will "spill out", I take the base layer, go in about a half an inch, and cut a line all the way around the layer. Then I "scoop" out about a quarter of an inch or so of the whole base layer. That way, the cake itself is used for the "dam", and I can fill in with whatever icing I am using..... I hope that makes sense..... it's hard to explain without seeing what I am talking about......

klasko Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 1:14pm
post #4 of 5

i just did a cake with chocolate ganache filling. I let the ganache cool in the fridge for about 1 hour, the whipped it untill it was fluffy and used it as a damn. I hope this helps......... icon_biggrin.gif

mbt4955 Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 1:39pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%