"icing" Dam For Ganache Covered Cake - What Should

Decorating By mbt4955 Updated 28 Jun 2009 , 1:39pm by mbt4955

mbt4955 Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 12:57pm
post #1 of 5

I am doing a white chocolate cake with raspberry filling, white chocolate ganache, MMF. What should I use for the dam since I will be "crumb coating" with ganache? The only other time I tried this, I just used a very thin layer of filling and didn't dam. I kept the filling away from the edge of the cake, then used the ganache to fill in the gap.

I need to use more filling but certainly don't want it leaking out. It seems strange to me to use buttercream for the dam and no where else on the cake.

4 replies
wendalynn11 Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 1:01pm
post #2 of 5

Sorry I don't have an answer but I have had the same question, thanks for asking it!

grama_j Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 1:11pm
post #3 of 5

When I am in doubt that the filling will "spill out", I take the base layer, go in about a half an inch, and cut a line all the way around the layer. Then I "scoop" out about a quarter of an inch or so of the whole base layer. That way, the cake itself is used for the "dam", and I can fill in with whatever icing I am using..... I hope that makes sense..... it's hard to explain without seeing what I am talking about......

klasko Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 1:14pm
post #4 of 5

i just did a cake with chocolate ganache filling. I let the ganache cool in the fridge for about 1 hour, the whipped it untill it was fluffy and used it as a damn. I hope this helps......... icon_biggrin.gif

mbt4955 Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 1:39pm
post #5 of 5

Quote by @%username% on %date%