Gumpaste Figures- Forgot To Ask!

Decorating By narfletta Updated 28 Jun 2009 , 8:53pm by narfletta

narfletta Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 12:48pm
post #1 of 5

I have been learning all I can about gumpaste, gumpaste/fondant mix, etc., how to store, how long to dry--- but I realized last night that I have NO IDEA how in the he** you get them to stand up or stay supported while you're doing it?!??! I tried to make a cartoony cat and he was sloping to the left, then i kept getting my fingerprints all over the back of him... how do you guys sculpt them to be completely 3-d front and back??? i'm not awful at sculpting but have an easier time with clay.. icon_smile.gif help from anyone who can make those beautiful gumpaste people, animals, you name it... would be appreciated!!! thanks in advance

4 replies
shelbur10 Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 12:53pm
post #2 of 5

When I make mine, I put a skewer or toothpick in the bottom, then stick the skewer in a piece of styrofoam to support it while it dries upright. I also do most of the detail work while it's standing, so I don't have to hold it (fingerprints). For smaller figures, I have laid them down on a bed of loosely crumpled plastic wrap to dry (so they're not lying flat and smooshing the backside.)

nannie Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 1:08pm
post #3 of 5

try this link

aine2 has a whole group of video tutorial free on you tube and she is the master of fondant figures.

if you enjoy it, go to her web site and and you can buy other tutorials that are more detailed and are very inexpensive.

Rylan Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 8:38pm
post #4 of 5

Sometimes I use support for the inside.

narfletta Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 8:53pm
post #5 of 5

thanks so much you guys... i'm practicing holding my hand steady while writing/drawing with a parchment bag right now.. i'm going to try to salvage my little gumpaste guy. at least my 5 yr old likes it.. haha. icon_smile.gif i am going to check out the tutorial tonight!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%