For my daughter's birthday cake, I have opted to make one of the layers using the "Durable Cake" recipe from this site. It is in my mind to also try freezing my cake to see how this works for me. Some questions about freezing:
1. Has anyone frozen this particular cake?
2. How long must is sit out before applying bc and then fondant?
3. How long can a cake that has been frozen be out after being decorated before beginning to go stale?
1. I haven't tried that recipe, but I'm pretty sure that it will freeze just fine.
2. Cakes do take a while to thaw. It's going to need several hours to come to room temperature. Just touch the center of the cake. If it's cold, it needs to thaw more. (I take mine out in the morning and come back in a few hours.
3. After you decorate the cake, it can sit out for several days (just like a regular cake). Freezing actually makes the cake more moist.
If you freeze the cake don't unwrap it untill it has totally thawed.