How Do I Make 'ball Borders'...beginner Question.

Decorating By MrsNancyB1 Updated 28 Jun 2009 , 9:37am by FlourPots

MrsNancyB1 Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 4:54am
post #1 of 8

This is a question that clearly shows what a beginner I am. icon_razz.gif How do I make those beautiful ball borders that I see frequently. To clarify, they are the borders that look like small marbles around the cake.

All I know is that one should use a circle cutter to ensure that all of the balls are a uniform size. Am I supposed to string the balls onto a wire and then wrap this around the border, or do I just put them around the cake one by one?

TIA! icon_biggrin.gif

7 replies
cherrycakes Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 5:05am
post #2 of 8

The easiest way is to put them on one by one - I actually never thought of doing it any other way so maybe someone else will suggest something that I'm also missing out on!

miny Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 5:19am
post #3 of 8

One by one is the way to go, if you put them on wire you're going to have an ugly seem in both sides plus it's hard to know haw many balls you need. HTH

honeyscakes Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 5:31am
post #4 of 8

Depending on the size of your balls icon_twisted.gif I mean, the size of the balls you want,you can either use a circle cutter to cut fondant and roll it in your hand to make balls and stack them one by one next to each other to make the border by the cake. AND you can also use a pearl maker mold.( I LOVE LOVE LOVE using mine)
If you want you can see my photo gallery and see the topsy turvy cake I made ...there are hand made fondant balls as the border for both cakes.
And then there is this thread here on CC about the pearl maker molds.It tells you about what sizes etc and where to get them.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6345927.html

Good luck thumbs_up.gif . PM me if you have any more Qs

JaimeAnn Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 5:56am
post #5 of 8

I put mine on one by one... I pipe a little buttercream to seat them in then just start adding them one at a time. I use a round cutter to make sure each one is the same size. It turns out like this VVVV
LL

Rylan Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 5:59am
post #6 of 8

I never string mines. I just put it one by one.

bakermommy4 Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 6:02am
post #7 of 8

I use the round cutter to make sure they are the same size and then also when I roll them...I kinda use the palm of my hands with them really closed..like cupped instead of using an open hand and a flat palm...it keeps any cracks away and it turns out to be a smooth ball. I hope I'm making sense...it's hard to describe some things.

edited to add...I do add them one by one, never used any other way.

FlourPots Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 9:37am
post #8 of 8

I use measuring spoons, usually the 1/2 tsp. size...I push fondant in, level with my thumb and use the spoon's edge to cut off the excess, then I pop the blob out and finish rolling.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%