...make Luster Sprinkles? Saw Them On Australian Cupcake

Decorating By drakegore Updated 28 Jun 2009 , 7:14pm by BlakesCakes

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 4:40am
post #1 of 12

a while back i saw a cupcake from an australian decorator that had tiny luster sprinkles on it. very shiny. these were not draggees. having searched and searched, i cannot find any small round sprinkles that have luster.

so, either it's an australian thing only or they were "made" by the decorator.

could i just put my regular old flat color sprinkles in a jar with a bit of luster dust and get them consistently "pearly" looking? would the luster stay on the sprinkle? has anyone tried this?

11 replies
miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 4:50am
post #2 of 12

Maybe if you put a tiny bit of vodka and luster dust in a container with the regular sprinkles? that's how they give fondant pearls their color. Why don't you try this?

drakegore Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 4:53am
post #3 of 12

i am fearing that liquid would partially disintegrate the sprinkles or cause the color to bleed. i am game to try it though icon_smile.gif.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 7:03am
post #4 of 12

I think it would work to just put the sprinkles and the dust in the container together...it works to dry brush luster dust onto fondant, and the sprinkles probably have a slightly rougher surface than fondant, so it seems like it would work.

It wouldn't take too many sprinkles or too much dust to give it a try icon_biggrin.gif

You can also make your own flat round sprinkles with a metal hole punch and some fondant rolled thin and left to dry for a little while.

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 7:15am
post #5 of 12

I meant like a drop of vodka, it'll vaporize super fast anyway, but you can try both ways and let us now the results, maybe we can use this too!

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 7:35am
post #6 of 12

were they like metallic sprinkles?

Lazysuze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazysuze Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 8:04am
post #7 of 12

I use Edable Art Disco range, they are made in England, when I want major glitter.
Use them carefully, they go everywhere, I made this cake this weekend and everything is covered in glitter!

Lazysuze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazysuze Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 8:05am
post #8 of 12

OOPS that didn't work!
It's the pink number 6 in my photos.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 1:15pm
post #9 of 12

If you go to QAproducts.com they are the manufacturer of Decorettes. They have a line of sparkly sprinkles called Kings Blingz TM Topperz. You can get 4/6# cartons of the color called Jewel (it's a blend of what I'd call royal colors). If you don't need 6#, you'll have to buy through one of their suppliers/distributors.

The last time I checked with them about making a specific custom color that's not in their catalog, they'll do it IF you buy the entire batch which was 3000#... I made my own sprinkles instead! Hope you find what you're looking for.

drakegore Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 4:17pm
post #10 of 12

hi!

what i saw were tiny round "non-pariels" (i may have spelled that wrong). i didn't think of the right word until this morning, i am sorry!
sprinkles probably was not the right word, but it was the only one my tired noodle could come up with last night icon_smile.gif

they were not shiny metallic, but they had a metallic lustre, like a burnished metal. the ones on the cupcake were mixed pastel colors. they were not glittery.

if i can find them to buy, i'd love that (anything to avoid making a mess, lol).

diane

pbeckwith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pbeckwith Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 4:49pm
post #11 of 12

I saw Martha Stewart use powdered dye to tint white jimmies the exact shade of blue that she wanted in a baggie. Why couldn't you just put a little dust and your deco's in a baggie and shake together. You've got to let us know what works.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 7:14pm
post #12 of 12

I think Squires Kitchen sells something like this.

I read the ingredients and I think the one ingredient that I can't use is carnauba wax. I believe that means that these are panned in a large spinning drum in order to create the shine and to keep the color "sealed" on. Other than that I think they're just sprinkles with luster dust on them.

I agree that adding a tiny bit of clear drinking alcohol or even lemon extract will help the dust adhere better.

HTH
Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%