Air Bubble Under My Buttercream On A Ball Cake... Why!?

Decorating By The_Sugar_Fairy Updated 28 Jun 2009 , 2:44am by JGMB

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 1:35am
post #1 of 10

I don't understand. I'll try to attach a picture. I used the Wilton ball pan to make this 3D baseball. First I covered it using the star tip and then later the stars started to fall right off the cake. So then I litterally took all the bc icing off with my clean hands and then iced the cake smooth instead with the bc, but later an air bubble formed under the icing. Why?? I used the Wilton class recipe for the buttercream. Does anyone know why this would have happened?
LL

9 replies
sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 1:44am
post #2 of 10

Was the cake frozen? thawing? prior to you icing it...

SueB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueB Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 1:50am
post #3 of 10

This is so funny...I had a bubble blow out of my square cake just today!!!! I have never had that happen before. I always fill and crumb coat my cakes when they are frozen and then after they thaw I put the finally layers of icing and decorations on. I decorated this cake last night and then this morning when I moved it, it blew a big bubble out of the side of the cake! I had never had that happen before and I have been doing cakes for about 10 years now. I used the same butter cream recipe as always. Anyone have any thoughts?

SueBuddy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueBuddy Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 1:51am
post #4 of 10

Usually when I get an airbubble under buttercream it is because the cake was too cold when I iced it, or sometimes it can be because the filling didn't settle right.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 2:00am
post #5 of 10

wow - this is weird! I've had air bubbles in fondant, but never in BC!

cakelady45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady45 Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 2:03am
post #6 of 10

I know what you mean.. It happens to me most times when I use Raspberry Jam as the filling. For some reason, even though I dam the cake layers and crumb coat, the jam usually always finds a way to blow a bubble out the side. It mostly happens in the summertime too when it's pretty warm outside. Maybe that has something to do with it too.

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 2:07am
post #7 of 10

I had air bubbles this weekend too. Maybe it's something in the air! LOL!!!

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 2:13am
post #8 of 10

From what I have heard it is when the cake has some condenstation on it. I think I heard it from sugarshack's videos

candoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candoo Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 2:14am
post #9 of 10

I had that happen just a week or 2 ago on a present cake I did. It was not completely thawed when I iced it, so I assume that is why, although I have iced plenty of times before the cake thaws completey, and not had any problems. However, the cake turned out fine. I was able to pat the icing right back in place and it looked exactly like your air bubble when I started. You can see the cake in my pics- the pink, white and green present. The air bubble was on one of the sides that is showing in the pic- I don't think you can even see it after I patted it back in place.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 2:44am
post #10 of 10

How strange!!! I, too, had this happen to me for the first time ever this week. In fact, I started this thread about it: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6451744-.html#6451744

I'd have agreed that it was something in the air, except I did 3 cakes on the same day and it only happened to one. Luckily, the friend who had requested the cake called to say how delicious it was -- so I guess the taste trumped the ugliness!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%