Which Dvd For Covering With Fondant?

Decorating By missyd4e Updated 29 Jun 2009 , 3:00am by missyd4e

missyd4e Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 12:55am
post #1 of 12

So, I am giving in and going to purchase a DVD on how to cover with fondant. I just can't get my corners and bottoms of my cakes without buckeling. Which one do you guys recomend? TIA

11 replies
sugarcheryl Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 1:35am
post #2 of 12

Sugarshack perfect fondant dvd is good.

glendaleAZ Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 7:36pm
post #3 of 12

In the beginning, I also had a really hard time getting the bottom of my fondant cakes smooth -- I always had wrinkles from the gathering fondant. I soon gave up and decided to take Wilton Fondant Class so I could learn how to do this, but unfortunately my instructor wasn't very good. Thankfully the Gal sitting next to me in the class showed me what I needed to do to get a smooth bottom edge, and how to avoid wrinkles. Thanks to her I no longer have those problems.

About a month ago, I ran across this youtube video and it is really good at showing you how to cover a cake in fondant (I wished Id seen it before I wasted money on the Wilton class)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyRy2QX2wKo&feature=PlayList&p=2A3344EC31A780E1&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=2

sweetjan Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 7:46pm
post #4 of 12

Run, don't walk....to get Sugarshack's DVD, 'Perfect Fondant' (or something close to that title! icon_wink.gif ) It's worth every dime.

you can pm her here on CC.....she's sugarshack (Sharon Zambito)

An amazing teaching aid!!!!!

anricat Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 9:48pm
post #5 of 12

I found this video to be really helpful:

This video shows how lifting up on the edges is the key and I've indeed found this to be the case. It seems counterintuitive, but it really works.

chefjulie Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 9:56pm
post #6 of 12

I agree with previous posters- Flawless Fondant by Sharon Zambito (sugarshack) is AWESOME!! My only disclaimer is that her dvds are like potato chips... you cant have just one. I have all 6 and would buy every one again in a heartbeat.

zdebssweetsj Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 11:17pm
post #7 of 12

Flawless Fondant by Sharon Zambito The she'll take you through it step by step,it's the best investment you'll love it. I just got the Topsy Turvey dvd it great.Big thanks to Sharon.

glendaleAZ Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 11:37pm
post #8 of 12

Great Video anricat!

Thanks for sharing.

bobwonderbuns Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 11:44pm
post #9 of 12

There are three that I recommend -- Scott Woolley has a fondant video that is amazing, Sugarshack has one and JenniferMI has two out -- one of fondant and one on fondant frills. I have all of them and between them I'm hard pressed to say which one I like the best. They're all excellent. Oh and Nick Lodge has a video on covering boards in fondant which is also very good. Hope that helps some! icon_biggrin.gif

misabel99 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 12:20am
post #10 of 12
justsweet Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 12:35am
post #11 of 12

Jennifer Dontz and sugarshack have both great dvd's anyone of them will be very helpful. Jennifer's is not as long as sharons. If you just want to know how to cover a cake then go with Jennifer Dontz you will also get how she make her chocolate fondant recipe and how to apply, finish boars and bulge free seams. Sharon's dvd has how to prepare and cover your cakes, coloring the fondant and how to cover 5 cakes shapes and sizes and troubleshoot some flaw that might happen.

Good luck with your decision

missyd4e Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 3:00am
post #12 of 12

THANK YOU, THANK YOU THANK YOU! You guys are SO awesome. Thank you for all of the advice and for taking the time to respond.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%