Stacking Cakes Covered In Buttercream

Decorating By ILoveDaffodils Updated 28 Jun 2009 , 6:39pm by bbmom

ILoveDaffodils Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ILoveDaffodils Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 10:47pm
post #1 of 9

When stacking cakes directly on top of one another and the cakes are covered in buttercream, how do you keep the frosting from the bottom cake from coming off onto the bottom of the top cake?
With my first attempt, all the frosting from the bottom layer came off when I took them apart to slice. icon_cry.gif
Thanks!

8 replies
CherylWI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CherylWI Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 12:31am
post #2 of 9

You can cover the top of the bottom cake with dried cake crumbs or crushed Nilla Wafers or crushed graham crackers or even sprinkle a layer of white candy jimmies on. It will form a barrier between the two layers and keep the icing on the top of the bottom cake where it belongs!

CherylWI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CherylWI Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 12:33am
post #3 of 9

You can cover the top of the bottom cake with dried cake crumbs or crushed Nilla Wafers or crushed graham crackers or even sprinkle a layer of white candy jimmies on. It will form a barrier between the two layers and keep the icing on the top of the bottom cake where it belongs!

RetiredNavyChief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RetiredNavyChief Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 2:29am
post #4 of 9

Ive also heard you can sprinkle powdered sugar on top of bottom cake and that will keep it from sticking too.

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 2:40am
post #5 of 9

i've heard of sprinkling coconut flakes on the bottom cake or using wax paper that's cut to fit. i think a combination of the wax paper and coconut/candy would work great.

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 2:47am
post #6 of 9

The coconut would work great, but you have to remember that there are a lot of food allergies out there. Unless you know everyone who will be eating the cake, I wouldn't recommend using coconut.

I always use a crusting buttercream and there hasn't been a problem at the weddings I actually attended.

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 2:52am
post #7 of 9

Depending how much time i have i either sprinkle powdered sugar on the icing in which the cake will sit OR i cut a piece of parchment the exact size of the cake cardboard and place that underneath.

ILoveDaffodils Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ILoveDaffodils Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 6:31pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks everyone! It looks like a have several great ideas to try. Looking forward to trying them all.

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 6:39pm
post #9 of 9

I've always used a circle of waxed papar and never had a problem

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%