Added Tylose To Mff And It Got Crumbly!

Decorating By anricat Updated 29 Jun 2009 , 1:26am by Texas_Rose

anricat Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 9:47pm
post #1 of 4

I had a batch of MFF I made earlier this week. I used a small amount and had a bunch left over. I needed a similar color for my next project and I was going to make some bows so I took it out thinking I'll add a little tylose so it will dry firmer. I kneaded some color in and it was a little dry, but I added some shortening and glycerine and it was fine. After my color looked good, I added some tylose - 1/2 tsp to about a half batch of MFF.

Then it all went south. It's a total crumbly mess. I can't get it to hold together at all. What happened? Is this a no no?

With my MMF I added tylose (granted, this was when adding the powdered sugar) and it was fine.

Is the issue when I added the tylose or that I added it at all? Is the batch ruined? What a mess!!

ETA: I still have a small bit of MFF set aside that I didn't add the tylose to. Should I just make up a batch of gumpaste separately and then mix the two together?

3 replies
anricat Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 1:14am
post #2 of 4

Okay, well, it seems it might not have been the tylose. I took the other half of the batch and tried to darken up the color (to start over) and the same thing happened and I didn't add the tylose this time. Could it be the color? I've added a ton of color to other fondant before and this didn't happen. What gives?

Lisaa1996 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 1:22am
post #3 of 4

I had this happen last weekend when I tried to make red....I added so much and it started to crack on me and dry out. I added crisco and glycerine but nothing really helped! Maybe someone has an answer out there?

Texas_Rose Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 1:26am
post #4 of 4

It's probably the color. I use MMF rather than MFF, but the same thing happens if you add a ton of color. With MMF you can add the color to the melted marshmallows and avoid the problem, as long as you don't mind having an entire batch of whatever deep color you're making icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%