Stars On Wires

Decorating By sugabear Updated 28 Jun 2009 , 1:21am by sugabear

sugabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugabear Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 9:18pm
post #1 of 9

Can anyone tell me what kind/gauge wire to us that will support fondant stars. I plan on making them look like their shooting out of the top of the cake. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

8 replies
miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 9:32pm
post #2 of 9

Florist wire is fine, thick enough to hold the fondant weight, just remember not to place the wire directly on the cake, for this you can use regular straws and then place the wire in the straw. HTH

dorie67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dorie67 Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 9:39pm
post #3 of 9

I was also going to suggest the floral wire, I used it to make a flower rope that was placed around a cake and will have to use it again to attach to butterflies for a wedding cake. princess.gif

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 9:41pm
post #4 of 9

In case you haven't heard of this trick - heat the end of the wire with a flame and the wire will go into the fondant easier and will hold the star better as well.

sugabear Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 9:49pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks for the tip Cherrycakes, haven't hear that before. I figured to use florist wire, but what gauge will be thick enough to hold up the stars and still be bendable. They won't be sticking staight up, so I need to bend the wire as well. Thanks guys!

Moniquea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moniquea Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 9:55pm
post #6 of 9

Any recommendations for amount of fondant the wire can hold?

I made some ballons for a cake and their weight nearly bent the wire icon_sad.gif ...

mrsmudrash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmudrash Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 10:44pm
post #7 of 9

I JUST finished a cake where I did this exact thing! icon_smile.gif I cut small stars out of fondant that was less than 1/8" thick and let them sit for a half a day to firm up a bit. Then I stuck the wire in them carefully and stuck the wire in a foam cube to keep the stars up so they could dry a bit more. I used 20 gauge floral stem wire and it worked perfect! I haven't posted the pic on my photos yet...but will later today so you can see it.

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 11:07pm
post #8 of 9

I think I use 18 gauge, sometimes 20 icon_smile.gif

sugabear Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 1:21am
post #9 of 9

Thanks so much everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%